Atlatl Help

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Entering atlatl weights into google search presents many pictures.

Weights varied greatly by region (or maybe better put , by"school" of making , by the influence available. ,and time allowed to fashion them.

The basics are , why a weight?
Then , where to mount it?
And of course , how to mount it.
Answers vary...

Here is a writing on the matter.
I'm not saying it is the right or wrong tell all.
And am certainly not saying it is the final say.
Only some example.

A search will help you build one. It is quite doable and not difficult to gain a more academic sense of their use and potential.
We had the advantage of sampling a variety ,and handling others.
Did not graduate to adding weights. But can imagine gaining some greater leverage/force of throw.
A simple shortcut after adding more traditional fletching ( like you would a well built arrow/dart ) was tying a couple large feathers at each end of each feather to create the required drag.

ATLATL WEIGHTS: Function and Classification. By William Perkins a.k.a. Atlatl Bob.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Archaic Bannerstone by David Lutz is a good book.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
atlatl1.jpg Best I can do. Gainesville, FL atlatl2.jpg atlatl4.jpg

Aurora1959

May 29, 2019
Central New York State
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sheperdess...can you be more specific? Are you looking for info on how to make them, or archeological theories on how they functioned, or their potential ceremonial significance? Anyhow, for all of y'all who just want to check out some beauty with very high-quality photography, the Fashion Institute of Technology (of all places!) created a gorgeous, all-bannerstone site: https://bannerstone.fitnyc.edu/

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
It's some kind of iron-rich sedimentary rock like limonite/hematite

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You came to the right place. Now please post pics of your find and we will do our best to educate you on what you have.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have my phone ... No computer... So I need instructions on how to post pictures from my phone. And I am thinking I found an atlatl weight last weekend.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have my phone ... No computer... So I need instructions on how to post pictures from my phone. And I am thinking I found an atlatl weight last weekend.

Sent you a PM.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
55027C39-F2E9-46F9-A5EF-E140DCA7D962.png
this is a picture sheperdess had sent to me. It resembles very much one her father had found, and modified natural stone that had more prevalent indentations for tying on.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this thread has been a struggle. I want to help but. I just need a little more effort here guys. One pic with no scale. No closeup of altered areas. Only one side presented.

Post up some decent pics with something for scale and I will try again. Otherwise lets just forget this one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread