Projectile point find.

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Projectile point find. (Crystal Inclusions?)

I found these two projectile points in a river in Southeast Nebraska. They were found a few dozen meters apart while I was just feeling around the river sand for rocks. Someone hit me with some knowledge. :)

000aaa.jpg

000bbb.jpg

000ccc.jpg

000ddd.jpg

000eee.jpg

000fff.jpg

000ggg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the types but really nice finds. I am sure later in the day some members will be able to help you.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. My WAG is Pelican Lake on the larger one.

OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also found a bunch of rocks. I convinced myself that these were "something."
If anyone disagrees, I'd love to learn why. If anyone agrees and knows the proper terminology for that something, I'd love to learn that too! :)
I'm sorry if any/all/some of these are just rocks. As a mechanical engineer that works with manufacturing, I like to think I can properly identify flaking/pressure flaking marks, but I've always learned more from being wrong than being right, so don't hesitate to educate me. :)
Thanks for all of the help!

P.S. These projectile points are the first artifacts I've ever found in my life, so my experience in the field itself is near zero.

000hhh.jpg 000iii.jpg

000jjj.jpg 000kkk.jpg

000lll.jpg 000nnn.jpg

000mmm.jpg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The single item in the bottom pictures is a lamellar blade -- unmistakably a tool, and possibly a very old one indeed.

Your other items are flakes of chert (no idea how big from your picture) which were being reduced into point/tool preforms.

FWIW

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous points! I can't help but it looks like you have some fine ones there! Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The single item in the bottom pictures is a lamellar blade -- unmistakably a tool, and possibly a very old one indeed.

Your other items are flakes of chert (no idea how big from your picture) which were being reduced into point/tool preforms.

FWIW

OMG I should be banned from my career for posting a photograph without a reference. lol This should at least be relative scale, but I'm pretty sure you're right. They all seem to have little finger "pockets" broken out that make them comfortable to hold, but there's usually just the one edge, whereas most of the scrapers and whatnot I've seen here are definitely more refined in general (less jankedy). :)
I threw a photo of the knife and one of the other stones next to a quarter for scale.

I forgot to include these two other stones I found that day that I thought were unique. I'm pretty sure the one fits into the same category as those others, but this L-shaped one with the rusty hole, does that look like anything? **EDIT** (The L-Shaped one is sharp as nails in the inner edge.)

Thanks again everyone. This place is great!

000ooo.jpg

000ppp.jpg 000qqq.jpg

000rrr.jpg 000sss.jpg

000ttt.jpg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
CodyPratt

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be absolutely nuts!
The thought of holding something in your hand that was crafted before the pyramid complex at Giza is kind of chilling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread