Celts

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A pair of flaked celts from Florida, and found together 6C637377-58E5-4A08-9B0E-051F7A6A8F28.jpeg 963C736B-F0D2-45CF-8DF1-B181D3E34494.jpeg EFD45CDC-312F-4006-A3D4-F9327B50D90C.jpeg

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds1 I'm not knowledgeable enough about native artifacts to have any idea, but I sure enjoy seeing the ones being found and posted on here! Thanks everyone.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Without use wear on the edge showing its hard to make a definite determination on what tool they are in my view.

At six inches and exhibiting broad percussion flaking with what looks like little to none pressure flaking, these may be large blades in the middle of manufacture stage. Possibly cached for a later period and then never retrieved by the maker.

If a hoe or spade tool and had been used, a lot of edge polish would be evident as well as grass cuttings into the material over time, giving a ridged tool like appearance. I don't see that.

If a adz, likewise the bit portion would have exhibited more polish from use, but no cut area from grassland digging. I don't see that either.

Here is a close up of an edge wear of a notched hoe showing serrations where the grass cuttings wore into the flint. You can see what appears to be lines in the polish which are the areas cut into the flint from use.
edge_wear.jpg

So they could be flint adzs, or hoes, or blades in mid manufacture. That's the beauty of the native american style of living. A multi faceted tool kit.

OP
OP
H.P.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find!
While most of what you say is true, I can say the ole boy could never, at this stage of knapping thin these pieces..The angles are too steep as evidenced in the side view, therefore, I submit to you that they are finished pieces, never used of unknown use, without splitting hairs any further, Thank yo for the comment, always up for learning.

OP
OP
H.P.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Without use wear on the edge showing its hard to make a definite determination on what tool they are in my view.

At six inches and exhibiting broad percussion flaking with what looks like little to none pressure flaking, these may be large blades in the middle of manufacture stage. Possibly cached for a later period and then never retrieved by the maker.

If a hoe or spade tool and had been used, a lot of edge polish would be evident as well as grass cuttings into the material over time, giving a ridged tool like appearance. I don't see that.

If a adz, likewise the bit portion would have exhibited more polish from use, but no cut area from grassland digging. I don't see that either.

Here is a close up of an edge wear of a notched hoe showing serrations where the grass cuttings wore into the flint. You can see what appears to be lines in the polish which are the areas cut into the flint from use.
View attachment 1867826

So they could be flint adzs, or hoes, or blades in mid manufacture. That's the beauty of the native american style of living. A multi faceted tool kit.
I don’t know how to properly navigate this sit yet, and my response might be below, too much trouble to retype it, sorry.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
chippedcelt-(2).jpg ShellCelts.JPG A chipped celt found on a midden site that also produced shell adzes. This chipped chert celt is just about the same size and shape as the shell ones and was hafted the same way on a "L" stick or "7" stick..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread