Please help identify these stone artifacts

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
eastern shore of virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently gifted to me, these stone artifacts have me stumped, despite my research...I got as far as 3/4 grooved stone ax. I know for a fact that they were all found in Maryland. Any help would be appreciated!
100_0986.JPG 100_1000.JPG 100_0949.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your time :) No calipers, sorry to say (but I'll post another pic to give you an estimate). As for the material, my first thought was rhyolite, but I really have no clue. 100_1024.JPG 100_1031.JPG

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like Maryland rhyolite in that picture. Really a magnificent artifact!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see some relatively local MD artifacts! Looks like two nice 3/4 groove axes, and two large rhyolite blades, although the smaller of the two still looks large enough to possibly be a cached blank or preform. Quite a few large, and roughly ovoid, rhyolite blade caches have been found on the eastern shore of Maryland, suspected to have been transported from the rhyolite outcrop quarries across the bay in MD & PA. The larger one does appear to have a crude tapering basal stem as typical with the Morrow Mountain types, and the other un-named large late archaic blades found in this area. I am gonna guess these might have come from the water/bay, possibly from oyster tonging or a clam dredge? Nice artifacts, thanks for posting them.

OP
OP
M

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your expertise--now, that's nice to see! Thank you, everyone. The only item I can definitively place is the long ax, as it has "Princess Anne" written on it. I believe they were all found in the Salisbury area decades ago, found by a friend's father...he had quite a collection. My friend inherited them and passed a few along to me. It's satisfying to finally know their history :)

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I just happened to be looking at some published archaeological reports on rhyolite blades similar to yours, found on the Delmarva Peninsula, and I see them being referred to in the reports as "Lehigh" or "Snook Kill" type points or blades.
Thanks for the info on where they were found, the main reason I suspected a water find was that all 4 items are very large. Nearly all of the assemblages I have seen found by local waterman are distinct in that they contain only large artifacts, with all of the smaller points and tools, that are more common in our area, being too small to be caught by the clam dredges and oyster tongs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread