I need help finding Native American Artifacts!

Dec 14, 2018
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD, Minelab Xterra-505, Whites Prizm IV, Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Treasure Net,
Last time I posted was 2 years ago and I am back on the Net:headbang:
So basically I need some help finding native american artifacts. I live in Northeast Wisconsin (Oconto County) and am not sure where to start.
We own some field that I have been searching but have had absolutely no luck. The soil is very rocky and slightly more sandy.
There is also a nice active flowing creek on the land that my attention has come to. Anyways I have searched probably half the field with no luck.
I have not even found any flakes but I'm not even sure what flakes look like.:icon_scratch:
In a couple days I will hunt our entire creek as it looks very promising in my eyes.
Can anybody please help me find these artifacts as I am very interested in them. Is there anything I need to know? Where to look? Any Tips? Really anything you say will help,
Thanks

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Find where they lived. Probably on a rise in the ground near the intersection of a creek with a larger creek.

Happy hunting !

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last two arrowheads I found were when I wasn't even looking for them. Just happened to look down. I use to walk fields for hours looking. One thing that does help is if you go after the field has been plowed and after a rain. For me they were easier to spot or spot chips. You have to enjoy the hunt and sometimes you walk for what seems like miles and not find anything. I'm no expert on this at all, I just went out when I was bored and walked the fields after plowed and disced(?). I also hunted in Ohio, I know nothing about other areas.

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there’s chips there’s artifacts, if you don’t
Know what a chip looks like you’re in trouble.
When you find a artifact you will know it.
Op here in the Midwest are season is over until
Next spring ... do some homework over the winter
Months.... here is a pic. Of some chips 15CB62A4-4D37-4E26-B7C7-BCF95E234F23.jpeg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in AZ. I found an Indian mound with pottery pieces all over it. See earlier posts. I became interested in the area and have now found more than 340 sites in the area of the Colorado River north of Yuma. Mostly rock circles that I am told may be more than a thousand years old! Most are yet to be documented by archaeologists. I have also found several places having pottery pieces and other places having agate flakes (tool making). I guess what I am saying is that when you start finding these places, and know what and where to look for them, you will begin to find lots of things. The day will come. You just need to keep looking at the ground. ╦╦C

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Where there’s chips there’s artifacts, if you don’t
Know what a chip looks like you’re in trouble.
When you find a artifact you will know it.
Months.... here is a pic. Of some chips View attachment 1882325

No wonder he can’t find any, poor guy..

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

Re-think this. The more snow, rain and wind your fields are exposed to, the more the chaff left from harvesting is blown away, beaten down and rotted, exposing what you didn't find before. Where I hunted in Pennsylvania, right around the middle of April (just before plowing started) was one of the sweet spots in the year.

FWIW

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted artifacts in mid Missouri even in the winter as long as there wasnt snow on the ground, even hunted water in winter using 5 gallon bucket with plexiglas bottom I installed, used it to hunt the stream bottoms in winter.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for concentrations of occupancy from the 1800s, and even 1700s. Good places to live were used for hundreds of years... by Indians going back to maybe even thousands of years. There are REASONS why certain places were used for hundreds of years. Learn those reasons and you will find the places! ╦╦C

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Terry. Gotta think like a scout; where would you set up camp? You're going to need water, right? You'd like level ground. You don't want to be camping in a marsh or an area that's likely to get wet or have wetness. River corridors attract and contain a lot of potential food sources, e.g., animals.

And if you see a good number of little flint chips around, then you're good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread