Today’s find

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Found this today, about 3 1/2 feet deep in area of overhang we’ve been working. Trying to see if we can find the bottom, kind of test area near drip line of big room. Ran out of daylight, try again tomorrow. Nicest scraper We’ve found so far. Almost 3”x2”x1/2” worked nicely both sides.heavy fits hand perfect possibly Kentucky paoli ?chert material maybe preform? Thanks
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699153.232132.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699175.277028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699188.894152.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699206.558287.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699228.179916.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1606699246.236912.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice scraper Quinn!

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Are you sure that's not Carter Cave? Sort of looks like it. Gary

I am certainly no expert. It is really a dark chocolate color, as are many of the pieces we find here. I thought the Carter Caves chert was more of a tan, lighter coloring. This is dark brown. I find lots of tans and brown colors here. Whatever it is, it is a solid piece where all the cortex layer has been removed and beautifully worked both sides. Also, it was really deep in dig hole. I’m pretty excited, wasn’t expecting to find anything really, just bottom of cave.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I am certainly no expert. It is really a dark chocolate color, as are many of the pieces we find here. I thought the Carter Caves chert was more of a tan, lighter coloring. This is dark brown. I find lots of tans and brown colors here. Whatever it is, it is a solid piece where all the cortex layer has been removed and beautifully worked both sides. Also, it was really deep in dig hole. I’m pretty excited, wasn’t expecting to find anything really, just bottom of cave.

Ky Paoli aka Carter Cave comes in light and dark hues. Ky Paoli and Carter Cave are one in the same.

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Ky Paoli aka Carter Cave comes in light and dark hues. Ky Paoli and Carter Cave are one in the same.

Thanks for the lesson. So the dark brown and the lighter brown are both Carter Cave/Paoli chert type then. Cool. Pretty sure they were mining it right here, I am very close to Carter Cave as a crow flies. Probably 75 percent of what I find are shades of brown. Then probably 25 percent we find blues whites blacks reds greys and others. Some of the beautiful flakes, I always say, man can’t wait to find an actual tool/artifact crafted in this color. Greens and blues oranges. I digress....ramblings...thank you

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks for the lesson. So the dark brown and the lighter brown are both Carter Cave/Paoli chert type then. Cool. Pretty sure they were mining it right here, I am very close to Carter Cave as a crow flies. Probably 75 percent of what I find are shades of brown. Then probably 25 percent we find blues whites blacks reds greys and others. Some of the beautiful flakes, I always say, man can’t wait to find an actual tool/artifact crafted in this color. Greens and blues oranges. I digress....ramblings...thank you

Paoli is actually the given name of the Limestone in which Carter Cave chert is found. I experience about the same ratio's as you color wise. All of the Carter Cave artifacts that I've found are Archaic.

OP
OP
K

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Paoli is actually the given name of the Limestone in which Carter Cave chert is found. I experience about the same ratio's as you color wise. All of the Carter Cave artifacts that I've found are Archaic.

Same here. Found a couple pieces that some told me Paleo, found in creeks not cliff caves. Thanks for knowledge.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I never knew that either. I'm so far from the source I don't know much about it. Other than it's real nice stuff, the few pieces I've worked. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread