Upvote 0

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Tdog on modern day india origin. Get your money back if you can. I have always wondered how many millions of these things they have sent our way...

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like many of the indian ones have a large flat face and then are worked around the edges, that and a lot are kind of purple. If I’m missing something join in but it may be good to know what to look for in the future

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The flat spot is defiantly a huge red flag. They are made from cut slabs

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here is a point to consider, no pun intended, legit points usually do not have a sharp edge at the base where the twine ties to the point, a sharp edge would cut the twine and weaken the arrow point connection to the shaft.
legit points will have that inside edge worn down, the Indians used a sliver of bone the wear down that inside edge.
there are many points in collections which were not made by indigenous people or are not as old as they appear.
dating is difficult and quite technical, usually the method called obsidian rehydration is used.
with that being stated, you have a fine collection of points old or not.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Devil is in the details isn’t it?

Very obvious when pointed out.
Learned something new.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nope, big nope.... very recognizable modern points. notice how they all look the same

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Classic India reproductions, another typical giveaway are all those freshly knapped hinges.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Indian agate. These are not 'reproductions' because they don't correspond to anything authentic. They're modern fantasies and likely made very recently. At my local rock 'n' gem outlet they sell for about 50 cents (cheaper if you buy in quantity) as items for necklace-making and such and one of the vendors jokingly sells them as "Indian War Surplus".

Made in India.jpg

Seriously though, if you paid $5 each for them and they were described as "Native American", then you should see if you can get a refund.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
well, i suppose if they were made in India they are "Indian"...

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Yep. Indian agate. These are not 'reproductions' because they don't correspond to anything authentic. .
They could easily be seen as generic Kirk corner notches...the fact they they are neither well made nor accurate representations doesn't mean they aren't attempts to reproduce authentic artifacts, which is exactly what they are.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern pieces that are mass produced in India. I would take them back to see if you can get your money back. You can buy them in bulk on EBay for $.50 each.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to give you a idea of how many of these things are out there, Google Alibaba and search for arrowhead. It will blow your mind because the size that you bought is only 1 size they come in many sizes.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was given a few of them sometime back by a person that thought they were real but didn't collect. I ended up giving them the ol' hammer smash and tossed in the trash. Didn't want them confused by anyone else in the future or anyway associated with my own personal finds. I know millions of them are on circulation but it made me feel better...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
at least they are obvious

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions