This Is So Cool!

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG950173.jpg Tonight I stopped by a piece of Lightning Creek, SE Kansas bluff property that I have owned for 20 yrs but have never hunted.. too brushy, leaves a mile thick, etc. As I crept along rock outcrop at the top, this slapped my in the face! I know it looks so staged but I kid you not, this is exactly how I found it.
IMG950172.jpg
IMG950174.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG950177.jpg So, I scratched around directly below the rock outcrop that shelved the knife and found burned limestone and another small flakestone knife (not pictured). This is not a good pic but the pile of rocks in the background are all burned.(I piled up the burned rocks for the picture.)

20210118_185900.jpg
20210118_185910.jpg
Of course, I want to believe that this was an overnight camp in bad weather and the dude set his knife on the ledge above him only to forget it. My question to you is, has this knife been sitting on that ledge for 800 years or more? The burned stone two feet below it was on the surface and the little flakestone knife was amongst the burned stone. No matter what, this was a very fun find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece behind with the two dark pieces laying on it looks like a matte.

It sure does in the photo! I know right where it's at so I will check it over when I get a free hour. Thanks! It is burned btw.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best sites is up on a bluff, I’ve wondered the same if they came up in bad weather or when the river was flooding and waited it out on the bluff, there’s certainly not enough room for a group to live full time. As far as it ending up there it is a curious placement, that’s a substantial piece to get moved by water or wind.

OP
OP
G

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update! I knocked off work early and went back to this site on my property. I concentrated on a 10 foot radius from that original knife laying on the ledge in the wide open. I picked up loose rock and used a leaf rake to brush away the leaves and dirt. There was nothing above the bluff. No flakes and no burned rock. Below the ledge shelving the first knife, for about 10 foo down, there was a massive amount of burned rock. I mean huge amounts of rock burned down to a red chalk. Other large pieces of limestone just burned around the edges. There was a large , hot fire there. After about 10 foot laterally and downhill, it disappeared. So, amongst the burned rock I found more large flakestone knives than I have found in my whole life! Everywhere. Some used and broken, some never used. I finally had to quit due to darkness but I guarantee there are many more in the uncleaned areas. Not a single highly worked piece. Not a single flake. No pottery. The possible metate was not a metate. it was a burned limestone that popped out a concave. I found several. So you guys tell me what you think. I would think a cache if not for the huge fire. No other signs of daily activity here. A butchering party???
View attachment 1895791
View attachment 1895792
View attachment 1895793
View attachment 1895795 Some show good secondary work. This is just a sample of what I found. There was more!

OP
OP
G

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tdog. They are not works of art but they are certainly meant for business! I cannot believe how many there are in such a small area. Had to be the site of a big butchering event.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks good to me. Big flake blades. Do you know that lithic? It’s hard to say but exactly what was going on but defiantly something for sure. A spot like that will be motivation for a long time. That’s the kind of place I’m might have my mail forwarded to.

OP
OP
G

Gravelbar32

Dec 19, 2020
SE Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHa! Company welcome, Fat! No I dont know the lithic by name but it is very common here (for tools) but not native to SE Kansas. I assume it is from the north central part of Kansas. Older The Better could weigh in on this one, I am sure. And yes, I am already trying to figure out how to skip work this afternoon to go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread