Can you search anywhere near rivers?

Slug

Jan 24, 2021
Georgetown, Texas
Detector(s) used
Cheap $100 Tracker IV. (Haven't gotten really into this yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my name is Hunter aka (Slug), im new to hunting and im sure ive walked over many tools in search of arrowheads lol, but where can you search along streams and rivers? I live near San Gabriel River in Texas and its full of rocks you walk on. Just dont know where exactly tribes were if any. Thanks

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S

Slug

Jan 24, 2021
Georgetown, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One nice thing about rivers is that they sort the rocks for you, in a way. Look for gravelbeds that have rocks in the 1 to 3 inch size and preferably flat. If there are any artifact in that bank, thats where they will be hiding. Other than that walk, walk, walk with your head down.

Perfect. That’s exactly what I’m looking at down near this river. Thank you :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you tell us where along the San Gabriel you are we can look at maps and steer you into a good spot or two.

OP
OP
S

Slug

Jan 24, 2021
Georgetown, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South fork it says here’s a picture for you, I pinpointed where exactly I walk down to the river. It’s on the curve in the river. F066F727-3A48-45A7-BB89-AE275D98D708.png

The roads should be able to give you an idea too of where I’m at. Ronald Reagan Blvd and Hero Way.

I had a guy tell me there were many mounds near my area(Over the Ronald Reagan bridge but haven’t seen him in 3 years, but he has a crazy point collection.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so the river flows east right? I see a lot of bends in the river, some almost hairpin. that is good, a great spot to look is in the elbow of a bend where the flow of the river is going to want to accumulate debris. points tend to be nice flat shapes that like to be pushed and floated along fairly easily compared to round cobbles and gravel. for instance.... on a beach it is common to find points in the same debris line as beach glass... they share a size, shape and weight. things also tend to sort themselves out by size, you will have better luck looking in patches that share a common size background rock. also, go up any small creeks that empty into the river... and going after a big rain or flood event is good too. but if i was you I would travel north and west and look for spots where the farm land ends and the hills begin.... i have had a lot of luck in isolated places.

OP
OP
S

Slug

Jan 24, 2021
Georgetown, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you for this info, I’ve been going there for the past couple of days only finding chipped rocks or flint. I’m searching in areas where the flat land goes downhill towards the river.

potsherd_creek

Jan 12, 2021
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I once found some pottery sherds, some call them shards, on a hill, small, triangular, a penny would about cover one. I was in doubt until I found one with a an ink dye design. It was about on the boundary of the Iroquois and Sioux nations, but that depends on the the time of history - unclemac and Tdog bring up a good point.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my name is Hunter aka (Slug), im new to hunting and im sure ive walked over many tools in search of arrowheads lol, but where can you search along streams and rivers? I live near San Gabriel River in Texas and its full of rocks you walk on. Just dont know where exactly tribes were if any. Thanks

EVERY state is different,some counties w/in those states are different.How it reads In Va.... >> 001.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread