Paleo Endscrapers

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Triangular end scrapers with corner spurs (sometimes only acute angles where the working edge meets the sides) are Paleo fingerprint identifiers -- so often found on those made by fluted point people as to be typical of them (when this feature hasn't been effaced by the heavy use these were subjected to), and rare to absent on later ones.

They are situational artifacts -- Carl Yahnig found only a handful of them on all five Little River sites combined, and there were very few at Gault, but the seasonal caribou hunting sites in Ohio have yielded (literally) buckets full of them -- thousands. This would indicate they were made for processing hides, yet at least one use wear study concluded that most of those studied had been used as woodworking tools from the edge wear they showed. So go figure. As with other aspects of these peoples/ lives, at the end of the day, there are more questions than answers.

Those shown are from Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpeg

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
A worn out and discarded example of cobble Onondaga found by Dick Savage on a Paleo site in Pennsylvania.

Once the edge angle reaches 90 degrees through repeated resharpening, it's done.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    928.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a nice one I overlooked. Found by James Buss in Monroe County, NY. Onondaga chert.

You guys can have the points. Just turn me loose with stuff like this ��

image.jpeg

Last edited:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice examples and explanation for these tools! This is very timely for me, Uniface, as I actually found one yesterday in the Sandhills. Thought it was a thick unifaced dart point, but my mentor JJ said it was a Paleo end scraper. I am not making this up! He said mine still has the spurs intact on the working edge. Nice to see your examples in addition to mine, Uni. I’ve added a picture of mine as well.

Attachments

• FEA4701B-246B-4BBD-B559-1AFEEADBF9EA.jpeg
    FEA4701B-246B-4BBD-B559-1AFEEADBF9EA.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 34

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Uniface. Not sure why my picture turned sideways, lol.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
HOLD EVERYTHING ! ! !

I just found Eric Scharb's website (Kentucky Lithic Analysis Services) by happy accident while googling around. On it, he illustrates a couple of identical artifacts, which he says come from the Early Archaic era. Waiting for his e-mail reply to my questions like a kid on Christmas eve

Stay tuned !

Last edited:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
PES Early Archaic or Late Paleo not much difference. Have found them with all phases of Paleo into Early Archaic and there are examples of very similar tools they just had to have and make into later times. UnifacialSuwanneejpg1.jpg UnifacialSuwanneejpg.jpg UnifacialSuwanneejpg2.jpg

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no. You have posted information that will make me have to go back and look at my finds again.

Ok question...... What about larger than thumb srapers with distal points? Distal is that the right word?

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Distal = tip end. Proximal = butt end.

P.S. If you happen to run into this guy while searching, say "hi" for me, OK ?

DSC00343.jpg

Or or post him yourself !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Distal = tip end. Proximal = butt end.

P.S. If you happen to run into this guy while searching, say "hi" for me, OK ? ��

View attachment 1908561

Or or post him yourself !

No. You are going to pm me your address so it can come home to you and then you can post it. Deal?

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
BREAKING NEWS !

I just heard back from Eric Schlarb (referenced above), and boy, was I ever wrong about these !!! Just tickled and delighted about it, too, because now I know what I didn't before, from inability to find relevant information on them.

Eric Schlarb said:
Above is the title/link to an article I coauthored on the Canton Site. This is the site where the scrapers were recovered. Most of the points were Kirk Cluster and Kirk variants. I also excavated a site in Casey County several years ago where we found the same kind of scrapers in Early Archaic deposits. The transition from Paleo to Early Archaic was not sudden and certain technologies were passed on from one period to another throughout prehistory. If you have the time, please read the article. It can also be accessed on my website. I hope this is helpful.

The article is long, detailed and excellent. Recommended reading for sure:

https://www.kylithics.com

click on About Us

then on Something Unexpected: Investigating the 8,500-year-old Canton Site in Trigg County, Kentucky.

(
The Kirk endscrapers I referenced are pictured on his site).

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's an interesting observation on finding these at some sites, but very few at other sites.

Maybe an oversimplification, but it seems like at big, artifact rich sites near quarries they didn't make or curate tools like these. When they were out on the tundra, or in the desert, they didn't waste an inch of material and you can stretch your scrapers by careful resharpening.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely situational artifacts. Both Gault and all five Little river Complex sites combined produced very few of them. But Nobles Pond in Ohio produced literally thousands. Lots at Shoop, too. Paul Frey has an exhibit of them at the other place.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread