Round stone with perfectly symmetrical edges

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this clearing property less than 1 mile from both a Middle Woodland site and a Mississippi era site in East Tennessee; both sides have the indention

Natural? IMG_6778.JPG IMG_6784.JPG IMG_6786.JPG IMG_6782.JPG IMG_6780.JPG

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Nutting stone. Definitely a tool.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spent many hours and walk for miles looking for tool in area, then find one in my backyard.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent many hours and walk for miles looking for tool in area, then find one in my backyard.

Never know where you will find one. I found my first point when I was relieving myself in a farmers field, let's just say I found the point when dirt was washed off..

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like an old fishing weight, but the maker never finished it.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a very nice artifact. Multi purpose. The holes are for holding a spinning shaft of a bow drill when starting a fire or drilling wood. Stone is shaped to the hand and may have been used to abraid or dress skins. Nice one.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a very nice artifact. Multi purpose. The holes are for holding a spinning shaft of a bow drill when starting a fire or drilling wood. Stone is shaped to the hand and may have been used to abraid or dress skins. Nice one.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have heard for years that these were used as Bow Drill Toppers but I have yet to see one that shows the polish inside the hole that would occur from wooden shafts rotating back and forth inside said hole. I never adhered to the "nutting stone" theory either. Why do you need a round stone with hole on both sides to break open a nut? Just put it on a flat surface and hit it with another stone. Viola, a broken open nut. I call them Pitted Stones and I believe most are either Hammerstones or Anvil Stones.

I have a lot of these Pitted Stones and none show polish in the divots.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grim Reaper...I posted an example of a capstone for a bow drill some weeks back. Highly polished inside the divot. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1615140720.788441.jpg

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that Omarulluks are Midwestern. This was found at a known site in the coastal CA mountains which are comprised of sandstone and decomposed granite. I suppose it’s possible that it is natural but context would lead me to believe otherwise.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that Omarulluks are Midwestern. This was found at a known site in the coastal CA mountains which are comprised of sandstone and decomposed granite. I suppose it’s possible that it is natural but context would lead me to believe otherwise.

Looks like polish to me ? fire starter / bow drill cap makes you wonder when found out in the hills .

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to respectfully disagree. I have heard for years that these were used as Bow Drill Toppers but I have yet to see one that shows the polish inside the hole that would occur from wooden shafts rotating back and forth inside said hole. I never adhered to the "nutting stone" theory either. Why do you need a round stone with hole on both sides to break open a nut? Just put it on a flat surface and hit it with another stone. Viola, a broken open nut. I call them Pitted Stones and I believe most are either Hammerstones or Anvil Stones.

I have a lot of these Pitted Stones and none show polish in the divots.

Thomas M.N. Lewis and Madeline D. Kneberg Lewis in their exhaustive 2 vol. set "The Prehistory of the Chickamauga Basin in Tennessee", which includes the region of the lower Hiwassee River where this was found, calls this a "Pitted Pebble" and is almost always quartzite, and by far the most common form of hammerstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread