MattR

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Matt, of the 150 or so whole points I've found this year, only two are of this design. They both came from the same area. The engineering that went into these points amazes me! Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are EARLY points. They look to be designed so that they would rotate slightly upon penetration so as not to pull back out easily. Later points don't show near the degree of care or engineering. Beautiful points! What are your thoughts on age/design? Paul

Attachments

• pnt1.jpg
    pnt1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 280
  • pnt2.jpg
    pnt2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 283
  • pnt3.jpg
    pnt3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I dont know what area you are in, but if I found that here, I would call it a Dalton Greenbriar. Almost classic shape. You sometimes find points made almost spiral....I have a cousin that collects in south Mississippi and he has many of them in his collection. You are correct, it seems quite a feat of manufacture to get the spirals I see on some of those points. As for age, if a Dalton Greenbriar 9-10,000 bp. Nice point!

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• 07lake 001.jpg
    07lake 001.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 239

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
If you are in the south east I would call it a Bolen Bevel, jmo. The beveled edge is from sharpening the point for cutting, and really wasn't used as a projectile. More as a knife than an arrow point. Again just my opinion. Hope this helps.
badandy

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Badandy's right that it's probably a Bolen Bevel or a Taylor point. The problem with Bolen is that it's a generic term to the southeast (like Kirk to the east) and there are a myriad of basal configurations that fall into the type. Where was it found? Taylor are usually found a bit more northward than Bolen Bevel. Both are early Archaic knives (hence the heavy beveling - resharpening from knife usage), Bolen being the more prevalent though.

OP
OP
FMarion2ndRegSC

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks Atlantis, badandy. and MattR. Found along the banks of Santee River in SC. It's about 1 1/2 inches long X 1/2 inch wide.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'd say you have a mighty fine Taylor point then. I'll see if I can't upload a Taylor description for you.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Here you go Paul, hope this helps you out.

Matt

Attachments

• taylor.jpg
    taylor.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 211

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread