The 1st projectile point I ever found

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture below is a picture of the first projectile point I ever found. It is the point in the center of the photo. The point is glued to one of my collection displays and I did not remove it from the display. It measures: 1.5 inches long and .75 inches wide. The tip has damage and I have found many better looking points since--I still enjoy looking at it. It is one of the reasons I learned how to Knapp.

I found this projectile point in 1985 in Arizona. At that time I lived in AZ and spent a good deal of my time out and about. I was walking along out in the flats below a ridge. I was talking with my friend and I remember telling him about my Archeology class and how we were studying historic and prehistoric artifacts. I had just finished telling him that I had no idea where prehistoric artifacts might be found, but, that this area was supposed to be a great area for finding such items, yet I had never found one. True story..

It was not enough that I should find just a corner of the projectile point sticking out of the ground--no. This point had lain out in the desert heat and sun so long that it was suspended upon a tee of sand much like you would place your golf ball on a green tee--just not as tall. The projectile point was about 1 inch above the surrounding sand and had--to the best of mine and John Kubrock's deduction--received raindrops enough through the centuries to have had the sand upon which it laid washed out from under it. Literally raising it above the sand. I wish I had of had a camera. When I lifted it up the small sand pedestal came with it--it was truly cemented to the sand.

Of course I took it to class and my professor (a LT Colonel in the Air Force) told me it was very old and was more than likely an atalatal point. This was before internet and researching was a bit difficult to say the least. Amazing how times change--another true story. :) :)

Since that day I have found a good collection worth and I can recall each incident clearly.

Here it is.

Attachments

• TN01.jpg
    TN01.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.. yeah it's hard to forget where items were found! Nice..

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
Here's a picture of the first arrowhead that I found. I found another dozen, plus a lot of other artifacts in the same place - maybe the same day. Been so long I don't exactly remember. I was a teenager at the time and I don't know know where my head was at, but I could have probably found a whole lot more if I had just looked more. Odd thing is that I was nuts about history and Indians even at that age. I guess I lacked focus.

I framed all them that would frame easily and used glue, so its hard to get a good picture behind glass. Probably a good thing that I glued them, or they'd probably have been missing by now - with all the moving around I've done.

It's the pink one, middle right.

Attachments

• Frame First.jpg
    Frame First.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 372

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Hey Stryker! Nice story along with the point! It's pretty cool when you find them up on a pedestal like that. I've only found 1 or two that way. The story goes that "the ancient maker placed it on the pedestal for you to find" or something like that. It would have made an awesome insitu! I've got to start taking a camera with me. I don't think I've ever taken an insitu shot - usually too excited. ;D

Good luck!

Brian

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your responces.

Jazdo, Pickaway, and Bridgeendfarm.

Billco, cool collection--nice 1st point.

Adena_man, glad to hear I am not the only person to find a point on a pedestal. I too need to make sure I have my camera. Thanks for the feedback :) :)

Stryker

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
sweet find. my first is the one in the bottom left corner

Attachments

• DSC03232.JPG
    DSC03232.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC03232.JPG
    DSC03232.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 342
OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Cannon stick your first projo point on here. --give a story you all.

Steve71--that is a very, very nice first point. Nice collection.

Thank you for sharing

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
stryker-one said:
Come on Cannon stick your first projo point on here. --give a story you all.

Steve71--that is a very, very nice first point. Nice collection.

Thank you for sharing
it sure did get me hooked,thanks

Attachments

• DSC02803.JPG
    DSC02803.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC02803.JPG
    DSC02803.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 307

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Cr@p! I forgot- I have to go and try to find it, it was not display worthy- that much I can tell you... cruddy knife was my first one.. I'll post a pick as soon as I find the right box!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I no longer have my first arrowhead. 30-something years ago (no, I'm not old..bite me..I'm still pre-pubescent at heart) my first find was a Snyders. It was my good luck charm and I think I even named it. I took it to school and everywhere with me. It intrigued me and I was always taking it out and playing with it (the Snyder, perverts). One day I was tossing it around and admiring it and it fell on the concrete at school, breaking into several pieces. Not sure what happened with it after that. However, it did start me down the long road of being a flintaholic.

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn, Matt that was a bummer :( :(, dropping your 1st point. A snyders at that.

Truly though this is a great hobby.

Stryker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread