Tiny dart points

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Here are three little dart points (For the lack of a better term) that I found a couple of years ago. They will each easily fit on a nickel. The field had just been turned. I was worried about stepping into an air pocket and turning my ankle. I stepped over from one "hill" to another and saw one of the black ones right beside my foot. I picked it up and took about five steps and found the other black one. I found the triangle point a while later. The owner looked at them and said "How in the world did you see those?" He said that he couldn't have found those on his front porch, much less the newly turned field. I told him that I was just very lucky that day.

He laughs and tells everybody that I remind him of a beagle hound trying to find a rabbit when I walk up and down the tobacco rows.

Thanks for looking!

Brian

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
Those are nice. I find tiny ones mainly because I pick up almost every chip and flake I see. Every once in a while I find an arrowhead by doing this. Here's two that have on my computer that are about dime-sized.

Attachments

• Small ones.jpg
    Small ones.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 472

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice Ft. Ancient points. Have you found a lot of triangles on that site? Pottery? Bone?
Chuck

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
What do you mean when you say dart points? I always thought of that term as atl-atl points when used with a socketed spear (and the front portion that comes away with the point looks like a dart) but sometimes I wonder if that is what others mean when they use the term- ???

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Billco said:
Those are nice. I find tiny ones mainly because I pick up almost every chip and flake I see. Every once in a while I find an arrowhead by doing this. Here's two that have on my computer that are about dime-sized.

Nice ones Billco! Man those are tiny!

Good luck!

Brian

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
TreasureTales said:
Very nice points - both sets. In the area I search for artifacts, the majority of them are found near water sources - seasonal lakes, streams, etc. But that's in the desert. Do you also find most of your artifacts near water or former water sources?

Thanks for posting TreasureTales! These were found in an area that did not have any creeks or rivers nearby, but there are a lot of springs around there.

Good luck!

Brian

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
ohio said:
Nice Ft. Ancient points. Have you found a lot of triangles on that site? Pottery? Bone?
Chuck

Hey Chuck! The small triangle points are kinda rare on this site. I have yet to find any pottery. I have a site within 5 minutes of my house that is a Ft. Ancient site. I find a lot of triangle points (Ft. Ancient points) on that site. The field is right next to a big creek.

Good luck!

Brian

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Cannonman17 said:
Nice - true arrowheads. Most of what people call arrowheads are actually knives and atl-atl points...not these!

Thanks for the post Cannonman! I am hoping to get back on my Ft. Ancient site in a couple of weeks. They finally plowed it after a 4 year halt. I can't wait!

Good luck!

Brian

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Cannonman17 said:
What do you mean when you say dart points? I always thought of that term as atl-atl points when used with a socketed spear (and the front portion that comes away with the point looks like a dart) but sometimes I wonder if that is what others mean when they use the term- ???

Hey Cannonman. I've always heard of the tiny points referred to as "dart points" in this area. Most everyone you talk to around my area refer to them as such. That's why I said "For the lack of a better term" in my original post as I wasn't sure that the term was the correct one to use even though most everybody calls them that in my area. I guess it is just like when you hear someone call a point a "bird point" even though it wasn't necessarily used to hunt birds. The Ft. Ancient and other triangle points like Madison, Hamilton, etc. are just like you said earlier, "True arrow points". I know I love finding them!

Thanks for your input! Good question to bring up.

Brian

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Hey Adena man, I'm going to have to go with Cannonman on this one. I think in most of the country, the term "dart point" is used to refer to those points used specifically with atl-atls. True arrowheads are normally referred to as bird points. But that's just my two cents. Razor

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
razor said:
Hey Adena man, I'm going to have to go with Cannonman on this one. I think in most of the country, the term "dart point" is used to refer to those points used specifically with atl-atls. True arrowheads are normally referred to as bird points. But that's just my two cents. Razor

Razor, I'm not arguing a point with Cannonman or anyone else on this thread. In my initial post I said "FOR THE LACK OF A BETTER TERM". I was explaining how SOME people around here call them dart points. All I was trying to do was post a couple of very small points. The locals call them dart points. It doesn't really matter to me if they are called dart points, arrow points, or whatever. I know what they are. I posted this thinking maybe someone might want to see a few very small points and not to start some kind of debate over terminology. True arrowheads being called "bird points" has caused a lot of debates as well. People can call them whatever they want to.

Cannonman has valuable experience in the archaeology field and I respect that. I value his opinions. I have over 30 years of experience in hunting and collecting indian artifacts. That does not make me an archaeologist by any means. However, I didn't just fall off the "turnip wagon" when it comes to artifacts either. Again, I'm NOT arguing anything with Cannonman. I know you didn't say that I was arguing, but I don't want this to get out of hand. He asked a question and I tried to answer it. I was just posting a pic and looking to get opinions and maybe a few pics of other very small points, which I did get. Thanks to everyone who did.

Sorry for the rant and I'm not trying to single you out, but this whole thing has just hit me the wrong way. Maybe I should have named the thread differently.

Regards

Brian

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
heres one

Attachments

• DSC03324.JPG
    DSC03324.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC04001.JPG