Tiny dart points
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Tiny dart points

Here are three little dart points (For the lack of a better term) that I found a couple of years ago. They will each easily fit on a nickel. The field had just been turned. I was worried about stepping into an air pocket and turning my ankle. I stepped over from one "hill" to another and saw one of the black ones right beside my foot. I picked it up and took about five steps and found the other black one. I found the triangle point a while later. The owner looked at them and said "How in the world did you see those?" He said that he couldn't have found those on his front porch, much less the newly turned field. I told him that I was just very lucky that day.

He laughs and tells everybody that I remind him of a beagle hound trying to find a rabbit when I walk up and down the tobacco rows.

Thanks for looking!

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 043.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	10945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 043.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	187004  

Oct 2007
    Alabama
    22 times

Re: Tiny dart points

Those are nice. I find tiny ones mainly because I pick up almost every chip and flake I see. Every once in a while I find an arrowhead by doing this. Here's two that have on my computer that are about dime-sized.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oct 2007
    Alabama
    22 times

Almost all of my are found near creeks.

I want to start a new life with my valuable hunting knife.

May 2007
    16 times

Nice Ft. Ancient points. Have you found a lot of triangles on that site? Pottery? Bone?
    Chuck
    I want to start a new life with my valuable hunting knife.

Very cool!
    Finder of Things!

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    24 times

Nice - true arrowheads. Most of what people call arrowheads are actually knives and atl-atl points...not these!
    "A culture truly grows great when old men plant trees in who's shade they know they will never sit"

us
    Your Only One Swing Away From Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    68 times

nice dart points a great find
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

Jul 2006
    Wisconsin
    24 times

What do you mean when you say dart points? I always thought of that term as atl-atl points when used with a socketed spear (and the front portion that comes away with the point looks like a dart) but sometimes I wonder if that is what others mean when they use the term-
    "A culture truly grows great when old men plant trees in who's shade they know they will never sit"

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Billco
    Those are nice. I find tiny ones mainly because I pick up almost every chip and flake I see. Every once in a while I find an arrowhead by doing this. Here's two that have on my computer that are about dime-sized.
    Nice ones Billco! Man those are tiny!

Good luck!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureTales
    Very nice points - both sets. In the area I search for artifacts, the majority of them are found near water sources - seasonal lakes, streams, etc. But that's in the desert. Do you also find most of your artifacts near water or former water sources?
    Thanks for posting TreasureTales! These were found in an area that did not have any creeks or rivers nearby, but there are a lot of springs around there.

Good luck!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ohio
    Nice Ft. Ancient points. Have you found a lot of triangles on that site? Pottery? Bone?
    Chuck
    Hey Chuck! The small triangle points are kinda rare on this site. I have yet to find any pottery. I have a site within 5 minutes of my house that is a Ft. Ancient site. I find a lot of triangle points (Ft. Ancient points) on that site. The field is right next to a big creek.

Good luck!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1
    Very cool!
    Thanks Romeo-1!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonman17
    Nice - true arrowheads. Most of what people call arrowheads are actually knives and atl-atl points...not these!
    Thanks for the post Cannonman! I am hoping to get back on my Ft. Ancient site in a couple of weeks. They finally plowed it after a 4 year halt. I can't wait!

Good luck!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeendfarm
    nice dart points a great find
    Thanks Bridgeendfarm!

Good luck!

Brian

Feb 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonman17
    What do you mean when you say dart points? I always thought of that term as atl-atl points when used with a socketed spear (and the front portion that comes away with the point looks like a dart) but sometimes I wonder if that is what others mean when they use the term-
    Hey Cannonman. I've always heard of the tiny points referred to as "dart points" in this area. Most everyone you talk to around my area refer to them as such. That's why I said "For the lack of a better term" in my original post as I wasn't sure that the term was the correct one to use even though most everybody calls them that in my area. I guess it is just like when you hear someone call a point a "bird point" even though it wasn't necessarily used to hunt birds. The Ft. Ancient and other triangle points like Madison, Hamilton, etc. are just like you said earlier, "True arrow points". I know I love finding them!

Thanks for your input! Good question to bring up.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links