Tool, ROCK, Artifact Prehistoric?

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this March 18, 08' in an area where American Indians were known to be, but also an area close to where a prehistoric man was found. I have spent countless hours since then trying to ID it. Thought at first Grooved Axe :o, then thought Flaked Tomahawk :o, then thought Some sort of tool :o, then thought maybe prehistoric :o, now thinking rock ???. I have stared at it so much and looked at thousands of pics. Really need more eyes on this one. ::)
Thanks for looking and HELP! 8)
Just for fun also found prehistoric toy car...HHH :D

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a rock, happens to everyone. i found pics of what i thought was stuff when i first started, i got a kick out of it. keep looking im sure there is an axe somewhere under your feet.

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Buzzard of GPAA would say "It's leaveitright" as in leave it right where you found it.

Sorry Chris--however--you are in New Mexico and that is a very good state for finding all manner of great projectile points, and other prehistoric artifacts. Find a ridge that overlooks a blue line (river, creek, stream et.al.) either presently running with water or that is now a dry wash. Look downhill from the ridge toward the blue line and you should be able to find pottery shards and or projectile point flakes or parts.

Works for me in AZ. More often than not.

Good luck

Stryker

OP
OP
chrisplay2004

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geofact, that's what I thought. :-\
That's why I posted, I figured I was letting my imagination run with this one. 8)
Stryker, I have found plenty of Real Artifacts using that exact method, that is also how I found this.
Thanks for the extra eyes... ::) :o :tard:

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

I could tell you are a good sport.

In AZ (I now live in Oregon) I had my best luck at finding artifacts--perhaps that is related to the fact that the ground in AZ is not covered with grass, flowers, leaves and other artifact hiding ground cover ( :D). In AZ the projectile points were mostly made from obsidian. I would Walk along looking down at the bare brown sand, and pick up anything that was different--sometimes it would be an artifact--simple :wink: We are not talking rocket science here. Ha! Added to the fact that there must have been a whole bunch of folks living in central AZ high deserts for a very long time and one can not help but find stuff.

In my wanderings I noticed that the big desert red ants that are present in AZ were excavators--they would dig tunnels and pile up the removed material in front of their holes. One day In an ant waste pile I noticed some turquoise colored pebbles. On closer examination I saw a hole going through the pebble. This is how I discovered the best way to find beads and necklace items.

I do not know for sure but I would bet you have those same ants in New Mexico. If you did not know about this technique and use it, pay attention to small flat clam shell discs (usually gray or white) and not usually larger in diameter than a pencil eraser-- also with holes in the center and found in the waste.

By the way I would rather pick up an artifact suspect than not pick it up and, of course, wish I had :thumbsup:

Stryker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread