I almost walked right by this one. Please help I.D.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With about 15 minutes of daylite left on the way home yesterday, I decided to go a little off road. I found this allmost completely buried, near a creek. As usual, I had to use my cell phone camera, so the picture quality is poor. You should know that it is very thick and heavy and has brilliant red (rose quartz) that does not show in the photos. Also.... it is too big and heavy to be an arrowhead but too detailed (in terms of flaking) to be a preform. I could not find it in my book and any ideas as to type or age will be greatly appreciated. Also, the tip is clearly missing and I believe that it may be a lance point. All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• !indexCAJQCL4D.jpg
    !indexCAJQCL4D.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
Hard to say from the pic, It is actualy small enough to be an arrowpoint, but it appears to have been more of a knife from what I can tell. As far as type, I'd need to know what area your in. From the material, I'm guessing somewhere on the E.Coast....VA, NC, SC,?
Keep on pluggin thats a neat find there

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonnyreb said:
Hard to say from the pic, It is actually small enough to be an arrowpoint, but it appears to have been more of a knife from what I can tell. As far as type, I'd need to know what area your in. From the material, I'm guessing somewhere on the E.Coast....VA, NC, SC,?
Keep on pluggin that's a neat find there

I really do appreciate your thoughts on this. It is so heavy... I just can't imagine it being shot like an arrow. Also.... the tip is missing. I live in Northern VA and found it just North of Alexandria. It's quartz. Thanks again.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airbourne Seems we find simular points hon, If you check out my post- Plowed field finds from Piedmont- you'll see top left a simular point,
Looks like a 'Triangle' but I can't seem to find which type, so I just call it has I see it, 'A Triangle'. Example:- Caraways don't seem to be as serrated as yours, also are made much thinner, also 'Clarksville' are smaller, thick on the cross section. I'd say its definetly not a 'Yadkin'
So do as I do and call it a 'Triangle' A museum guy I know told me, there are lots of different Triangles, not all are indentified or logged.
Hope this helps you. I try, lol.

Your Friend Molly :D

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it's a point at all because of the picture... it could be flaking debetage. I can tell it's been flaked for sure but that's it. I'm looking forward to you getting a new camera or scanner like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it's a point at all because of the picture... it could be flaking debetage. I can tell it's been flaked for sure but that's it. I'm looking forward to you getting a new camera or scanner like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

Ok ok... check the new post. I just spent an hour trying to learn how to scan things! I am great in a gunfight but suck at technical things haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread