Is This Worth Restoring?

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I found this today, and was wondering if it was worth restoring. Anyone know the type? If I restored it who would do the best job?

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never Heard of restoring Them.

I Think they are Fine the way they are.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
You touched upon a topic that artifact collectors know or think much about. That said, I will never restore an artifact, they tell stories the way they are. Sellers restore them. And a few in some collections just beg for it and you might just give in if they are rare type or rare condition except for minor tip ding, etc.
If you must, you can restore them digitally or send to one of the best. I don't know your area. In the SE, many send them to Dr. Gomer (Thornton Pyles). You may have an expert that is from your area, but artistry is artistry. Someone will chime in with an expert restorer that works on types of material and types of points from your area. It is not expensive to restore a point like that, less than 40 bucks for sure. The base on that one is quite diagnostic as I assume you know. I do not believe it would increase the value except to your eye.
I'm with Jeff, I think they are fine just as they are. Go back and find the other piece and then find a whole one!

OP
OP
L

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I'm not good with graphics, so who could digitally restore it for me? I'm with you .... I would only want to do it for the purpose of 'eye candy'. I don't sell my stuff, so it would only be in my collection.

A friend of mine mentioned that the material looks 'Flint Ridge' does that sound right?

GI Joe

Apr 1, 2007
Gresham, OR
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The side you show in the second pic seems to show flaking rather than breakage along that "broken edge". Not sure, but this appears to be an intact knife that simply has been reshaped for some special purpose (i.e. skinning a hide). JMHO.
GI Joe

OP
OP
L

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
GI Joe said:
The side you show in the second pic seems to show flaking rather than breakage along that "broken edge". Not sure, but this appears to be an intact knife that simply has been reshaped for some special purpose (i.e. skinning a hide). JMHO.
GI Joe

It's a fresh break. It must have been the way the plow hit it or something, because it appeared to have shattered near the tip. The material in the core, or on the break, does not show signs of mineralization. The rest of the point does. It's a fresh break.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Since I'm still looking for my first arrowhead....I'd say it looks great just like it is..

But since I had some time to kill... I made a feeble attempt to restore it using IrfanView.....lol

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 319

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
Copperhead,

I continued to do a little work to your restore and this is what I was able to get.
Good team work!
Rick

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 285

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread