Can Arrowheads, be found in most Rivers & Creeks?

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Re: Can Arrowheads, be found in most Rivers & Creeks?

sorry, yes flash floods are dangerous in rainy seasons in the desert, but i was stating that when it flash floods, alot of boulders get washed down and would naturally smash up any good points.
indian wells are here in the southwest and are pretty large holes carved in huge boulders.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...lls&type=JPG&oid=9f29c7bd3e8be67a&no=33&tt=38
i actuall un earthed one, i re burried it and visit every so often, cause i dont want anyone to take it.
totally off the wall, but this vid reminds me of randys pro pic;)

OP
OP
(())RandY(())

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee

chong2 said:
sorry, yes flash floods are dangerous in rainy seasons in the desert, but i was stating that when it flash floods, alot of boulders get washed down and would naturally smash up any good points.
indian wells are here in the southwest and are pretty large holes carved in huge boulders.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...lls&type=JPG&oid=9f29c7bd3e8be67a&no=33&tt=38
i actuall un earthed one, i re burried it and visit every so often, cause i dont want anyone to take it.
totally off the wall, but this vid reminds me of randys pro pic;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYMzn3wjvQw
thanks for the pic on the well !! :D nice vidio

OP
OP
(())RandY(())

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee

Bum Luck said:
Good advice from Razor and CannonMan.

I have hunted points for some years, and it is an acquired skill. You can find an obvious point laying flat, but not all worked objects are points. Knives, scrapers, etc all look different, and they don't always lay flat. It takes a lot of practice to find them, but it is fun.

I have found only one scraper in the large river near here, but it jumped right out at me, but I can't imagine that anyone else would have seen it. It was stained brown like the river, from centuries of tannic acid in the water from the swamps north of here.

What you have to do is train your eyes to see "worked" edges. That takes sharp eyes and lots of practice.

I think it takes practicing on land first.

Take a stick to turn stones over to avoid bending.
Yes i have learned alot from posting here !! thanks

razor

Apr 29, 2007

Bum Luck brings up a good point. A good walking stick is a must. You'll flip over just about every other rock at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Just remember, you're not going to find them all, and you will miss some. Shoot, I missed a nice one this weekend that was laying flat out! I was with a friend that has been doing this for 30 plus years, we were hunting a little faster than I like to, and I flat missed it. That's okay, I made up for it a little later ;D I say this just to stress the need to move at your own pace. You'll learn what that is and where the points are, it just takes time, good luck, Ray

OP
OP
(())RandY(())

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee

I dont like the flip the rocks ,the water gets muddy ;D ..leave your freind at home next time :D.. thanks all

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

here are my wells
yes mine;)

Attachments

• zwells.jpg
    zwells.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,870
  • zwellss.jpg
    zwellss.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,415
  • zwells.jpg
    zwells.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,378
  • zwellss.jpg
    zwellss.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,168

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

If you're in Warren county. You'd find a lot on the Tennessee River when it goes down in late fall/winter! Your area is awesome place to look! Seen many big ones from your area!

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

(())RandY(()) said:
pickaway said:
I've only found 3 brokes and 2 whole pieces and 1 whatsit in creeks,From the pics of finds on the net seems like some creeks are better than others.I hunted the Scioto river yesterday downstream from many a sites for 4 hours found nothing...Its hard also to see them the way the stain and the algea that gets on them.Keep at it yes dry creek beds can work.
ohr.gif
Thanks for the Info & the pic :thumbsup:

That's a good spot! I've counted three flakes in the photo!

P

pickaway

Thanks dollarzero that place is my #1 spot so much material everywhere.
mostly Adena is what is found but pieces have been found from paleo-archaic no hopewell or ft ancient.i found what looks like an undrilled pendant there last monday and some brokes while riding a motocycle thru the area.

sixgun

Jul 6, 2008

DorkFish said:
I find nice pieces along the banks and the beaches of the Ohio River, but I have never found one in a creek in my area. I have tried creek walking a few times in creeks that are very close to or cut right through known sites but to no avail. Maybe I just need to retrain my eyes to get used to looking through all the rock and gravel.
[/quote
I agree Dork,I have found them on washed out banks of the Ohio river but have only found one in a creek and I wasn,t looking for it.I was catching minnows.I walked many creeks that run right next to plowed land I,ve found them at.I have not even found a chip.From the looks of your huge collection and many years in the hobby.At least for our area,I,d say it is next to impossible ,not really worth the time to waste looking that way.I have found some nice fossils and quite a few snakes and crawdads. lol
sixgun

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess it depends on your region. Here in Iowa you can find em in both.but more so along rivers for me. I have found a full groove axe along a creek,but no points. Heres a pic of the axe!

Hope you find something.

Attachments

• SG1L2506.JPG
    SG1L2506.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • SG1L2507.JPG
    SG1L2507.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 692
  • SG1L2506.JPG
    SG1L2506.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 632
  • SG1L2505.JPG
    SG1L2505.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 839

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

In creeks you would have better luck hunting down stream from eroding campsites.
Where the channel has moved.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

Patience's and persistence are key! You will find one eventually, and after that is like second nature.

badandy

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking of your post yesterday while hunting a creek next to my house. The folks here are very correct when they say that its a challenge. My creek runs through an area that is a recorded Indian camp and hunting site and I have only found two arrowheads here. I know there are more and I even find a ton of white quartz flakes on the hills overlooking the creek, but it is very very hard to find an actual point here. Strange as it sounds, one of my best point finds here was of a white quartz point on the creek bank when there was snow on the ground! :icon_scratch: I walk Charlie here often and do look for them, but I would consider it great luck to find one. Here are some photos taken yesterday to give you an idea of what the challenge is. best of luck to you and never stop looking. :wink:

Attachments

• hunt site.jpg
    hunt site.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 775
  • creek bed.jpg
    creek bed.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • charlie in creek4.jpg
    charlie in creek4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 603
  • Charlie in Creek1.jpg
    Charlie in Creek1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 590

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio

ohioriver hunter said:
DorkFish said:
I find nice pieces along the banks and the beaches of the Ohio River, but I have never found one in a creek in my area. I have tried creek walking a few times in creeks that are very close to or cut right through known sites but to no avail. Maybe I just need to retrain my eyes to get used to looking through all the rock and gravel.
I agree Dork,
Finding points in a creek,at least in southern Ohio is next to impossible.Not worth the time and effort!I,ve answered this topic before.Has anyone ever dropped an arrowhead on the floor? Nine times out of ten ,it breaks.Now you take a creek which floods several times each year.Big rocks,small rocks,gravel etc are moved each time,rolling down the creek.What are the chances of finding a good point?After doing this for hundreds,thousands of years.Well your chances of finding anything are slim to none.I,ve found one in 34 years and like Dork I don,t think it is our eyesight.Have you all seen all the artifacts he has found?River and creek banks is a different story though.Try putting a point in a rock tumbler for one minute and see what you get.Its not like we don,t have some great looking creeks in this area that run along campsites.I prefer other methods of hunting myself.A lot less snakes too!

Jeff

Folks,

I have spent many hours in some very prime areas walking creeks here in northern
ohio and have found but one flake of flint. the fields in these areas produce every time and have been producing for many many years. For some reason this area is not suitable for the river hunting tho.

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread