• small knives.jpg
    small knives.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
They are projectile points, not knives. Knives are larger than those, even if they have been resharpened and all used up the hafting area that remains will be bigger than those. Serrations are fairly common on some types of projectile points, and don't confuse really small points as being used to hunt just birds (bird points sometimes give people the impression that they were used only for hunting such) "bird points" are really just true arrowheads and would have been used to hunt all types of game. The larger points, often referred to as "arrowheads" are in fact most often atl-atl points.

My main question is if those are bifacialy chipped. The top one definately looks like a small arrowpoint. Cant tell much about the bottem one.
Generally knives are not that small, but that is the typical size for an arrowpoint.
From the materal, my guess is that your somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard?

OP
OP
Doc Martin

Doc Martin

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2008
Northeast Georgia
thanks for the feedback! Both are bifacially chipped - need to do some more cleaning and try a different angle to get a better pic. The bottom is rather sharp and in a clear serated pattern.

I have found a few knives here, and a ton of "bird" points - and you are right, and old friend of mine who was 1/2 Cherokee made it clear that was a misnomer! The knives are all larger and curved, which is what threw me off with these. I have some I may try to post in the future when I get them cleaned, along with some other things I cannot identify.

As for locale, I am in northeast Georgia. A number of things I have found were in Forsyth County, but that location was just sold a week ago (grandparents old home) and no longer accessible. My father owns a farm in northern Hall county, which has one of the few remaining trail trees which points to a 7-foot mound near a large creek. Old man who used to own it said there were 3 mounds there in the past, but 2 were plowed down in the early 1900's for farming - you can still see the 2 bases when the grass is down. Will post some pics later if interested. (ps - I absolutely will not dig in a mound, in case there was question!!!!).

If you are curious, I did a post yesterday under the topic of crystal arrowhead of one I just found, same locale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread