• lc 008.jpg
    lc 008.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Romeo,

First off, very nice find!! The material is odd, looks quartsish maybe. The period of your point is Archaic , 7000 years or so. The type is not familliar for me, but when we find that style here we call them Archaic Side Notch points. All of my info is my opinion only and surely not the gospel. Some of the more studied folks here could point you in a closer direction. Hope you find more!!

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Material looks like Hixton silicified sandstone. If that's what it is it was quarried at or near Silver Mound a few miles from Hixton Wisconsin. That's my guess anyway. Beyond that I can't help you.

SV

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
there is a wonderful lady named Molly on Tnet that is very knowledgeable on them she will be able to give you some info.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby that was very sweet of you to say, even made me blush, but I know nothing about Canadian typology. My forte is the Eastern seaboard.

Molly. ::)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 393
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 385
I'm like Molly and Steve. I dont know much about Canadian typology. My area is the Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma border area.
Its a nice looking point though and of course that type of deep side notching indicates that it is very old when on dart points.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Molly said:
Bobby that was very sweet of you to say, even made me blush, but I know nothing about Canadian typology. My forte is the Eastern seaboard.

Molly. ::)

you don't lol your still a very wonderful lady to me :)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww shucks, there you go again, making me blush. :angel7:

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 332
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 333

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Molly said:
Awww shucks, there you go again, making me blush. :angel7:

well keep your fingers crossed too as I have 10 boxes more to look in that I didn't know about in my deceased aunts home. I was told of them after I shaked some of my kin up on where. I am going after them next weekend

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Romeo

What you've got there is an Early Archaic piece. In North Carolina it would be called a Hardaway side-notch. Further west it would be a Cache River side notch. And so on. The names change with the location.

The key is the expanding side notching (C-notching). Notice that they're wider inside, becoming smaller and forming little hooks where they meet the edges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread