Not sure what I found, eden point ?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
I went out today to a spot where I haven't been for some time to see if I could pull some copper, no luck with the copper but I did get stone. This is the first that I have found anything like this and am not really sure what they are, I think they might be eden points, I have looked in the area above where I found these and believe that I may have found a few blanks of whatever they are. I also found what looks to be a knife that broke and was reworked into a scrapper, found a couple scrapers too. Any help with what it is that I found and a time period would be great, also if anyone has a clue to the stone type in the 3rd and 4th picture, I have never seen stone like that and its not a local stone.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• P7172594.jpg
    P7172594.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 572
  • P7172595.jpg
    P7172595.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 431
  • P7172597.jpg
    P7172597.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 469
  • P7172600.jpg
    P7172600.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 410
  • P7172602.jpg
    P7172602.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 432
Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda looks like petrified wood? :icon_scratch: but more details as to region should help as well. ;D

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like petrified wood, especially the spear point, but I'm unsure, let's see what the others say, some stone/rock can be deceiving.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 554
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 559

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first piece looks like it has the proper flaking for an Eden or Cody Complex piece, but without holding the piece it would be hard to tell for sure.

Nice finds though.

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
First I want to say nice finds. The second is the last picture looks like you found a point made of Hixton silcified sandstone. I use to do a lot of looking in the fields in Hixton. The place this rock comes from is called silver mound. It’s the only place in the world this rock is found. What part of Wisconsin did you find it. Here is a web site you can check out that tells you a little about the rock

http://www.uwlax.edu/MVAC/SpecificSites/SilverMound.htm

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
What's the cross-section like on that top piece? Beautiful chunk-o-Hixton that it looks like some early archaic knapper got ahold of.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Wow, nice piece, I love that top one! Eden is possible if it looks as though the small ears may be broken off... Scottsbluff is also possible. Agate basin ran through my mind but given it's straight lines and flaking I would think one of the first two. Incredible piece regardless!

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Yes I have been to silver mound. Silver mound has the purist quality with the least oxidation, but there are other locations where it can be found like Cataract, Arcadia, Fountain City, and Merrillan but with each a lower quality, I am not very far from all the locations other than Fountain City. I just call it quartzite because theres no telling where it came from, what I find ranges in oxidation from what sliver mound looks like to a very deep red to almost black, I think most of what I find comes from a different location other than silver mound. I have found so much flake and cores you could go crazy with it all, I must have over 100lbs. worth in 2 years from the same area.
The pieces I found do not have notches or ears on them, the larger piece may have very a small notch that was made by the last flake, but the bases on all of them are flaked out and come to an edge with no defined notch or ear.
I added a few more pictures so the flaking and base could be seen better. Also Ill add a picture of a large core I found at a village site I tacked down, I am sure that this piece did come from silver mound.

Attachments

• P7202657.jpg
    P7202657.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 273
  • P7202660.jpg
    P7202660.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 258
  • P7202658.jpg
    P7202658.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 257
  • P7202667.jpg
    P7202667.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 254
  • P7202668.jpg
    P7202668.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 268

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top point is beautiful material, wish we had it here in NC. Congrats on your finds, I wouldn't be able to stay away. I look forward to seeing more of your finds, Good Luck.

Molly. :)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
There are a number of places where materials similar to hixton can be found but generally the quality it pretty low grade and in those places other than silver mounds where the quality approaches that of hixton the outcroppings are so tiny that very little was ever quarried from them. I have personally seen a couple of quarries where people mentioned that there was "more hixton" and I wasn't impressed. None of the sites I have seen comes even remotely close the large scale quarry operations that were carried out at silver mounds. I would say that the rougher qurtzite type things we find (which is also at silver mound) could have come from most anywhere and it is hard to tell but the higher quality silver, orange, red, and nice looking hixton has a very high probability of having come from silver mounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread