Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This point was found in my usual spot. Sadly, I only had my cell phone camera but I think its clear enough to show. I am really learning a lot about the spot I search. So far, I have learned that the Indians used this area as a summer fishing and hunting camp. That explains why 99% of my finds come from the river. I learned that they used to do an awful lot of spear fishing here. In later years, they would go out with three people in a canoe. One would tend a fire in the middle of the canoe to attract the fish to the serface at night. The other two would either spear the fish or shoot it with an arrow. I am wondering if that's why I find so many points that seem to be a bit shoddy in construction. I mean.... if they were only going to use them for fish, maybe they were not so concerned with beauty. I have about 13 very beautiful quartz (clear and white) points, but many many controversial other items that most feel are geofacts. As this one is a good example of a NOT so pretty point, but it is very nicely made and feels great to the touch. If anyones interested, I will get some better photos of this and post tomorrow.

Attachments

• july 21 point5.jpg
    july 21 point5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 312
  • July 21 point.jpg
    July 21 point.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 313
  • july21 point3.jpg
    july21 point3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonnyreb said:
Looks like some sort of tool...or preform....Matt Rowe should be able to shed some light on that one. Cool find.

Yea...... its strange, I never know what gifts the river will bring me. The shore is very sandy and when the tide goes out, I find a ton of stuff that while not always Indian, is still cool none the less. I find lots of pottery fragments and I am guessing that they are from the 1800s or around that time. Most of what I find are triangular rocks that do not match the stones in the area. I mean.... if you look at the rocks inland, they look like rocks. The ones that the tide uncovers all have the same shape. Not all of them show clear working on them like this one though. This was a fun find. Thanks for the post Jonnyreb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread