GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Upvote 0

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Hi GL,

Town Creek is still going strong as a tourist attraction. Their hours are: Tuesday-Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday 1-5 p.m. Closed Monday and major holidays.

I'm pretty sure their nature trail on the south side of the mound is still in service but don't know if there are any restrictions on accessing Little River beside the mound. When I was a teenager (mid-fifties) a friend and I used to go down and help man the shaker boxes while the excavations were still in progress but I don't think there is any active work going on down there no in spite of the fact that a lot of the area remains unworked. I think Joffre Coe did this purposely so that future archaeologists could hone their skills. Archie Smith, who was the resident manager for many years, has moved on in the past couple of years. I forget the guys name that is now the manager. He's a nice guy but I don't believe he's an archaeologist. They have a pretty good movie for visitors that provides a pretty good history of the place. I believe you would find the place still interesting.

If you've never been to the Rankin Museum in Ellerbe, I would recommend a visit. I think there's a $2 or $3
admittance fee but it's well worth it. The museum has expanded somewhat in the past few years and they have a really good collection of local area stuff, including tons of arrowheads, pottery, pipes, etc.

Happy trails,

Larry

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I gave a bag of stuff to the Rankin Museum a couple of years ago, afterward I was allowed to walk through for free. (Yes I'm that charming in person) Some points and some pottery I found very close to the museum.
There was an ancient dugout canoe and LOADS of killer points and axes and pottery and all sorts of cool stuff. The lady at the door was super nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions