Another walk, a flint goodie and lots of pottery.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Today I happened to be early to yet another service call so I took a walk on a nearby hill, right above an old creek, the highest hill in the area, just cleared before the recent deluges...

It was very rocky with billions of pebbles made mostly out of crumbly rocks. They don't chip, they disintegrate when hit with another rock. Loads of sharp quartz was everywhere and the occasional minuscule flint chip gave me hope. That and being on what I figured was an obvious location for SOMETHING to be. Then I found a rhyolite flake. And a decent flint flake...then it was ON!
I began walking the washouts and gulleys around the base of the hill, walking in a circle upward towards the top. I found two pieces of pottery beside each other and I got excited. Then more and more and more and more sherds began showing up. I guess I had my "pottery eyes" on because I found plenty but no points. I did spot a rock that gave me a heart skip...but it's just a white rock with some angles. Thought that badboy was a broken quartz point!
I did find a sweet worked flint scraper of some sort so I feel like I might have another fair spot to return to some other day. I bet the guy who dropped that sweety thought it was gone for good. Silly man, it was merely "misplaced" for a few thousand years! It's safe now in GLs collection.

I wish I would have had a real camera. It's in an area that is being cleared for development and it's naturally hilly with all sorts of creeks leading to a man-made lake in the natural valley in the middle. Practically all the hills are being cleared one after another for houses...but the market is slow so they are now just maintaining the lots without a POSTED sign anywhere! I will definately be checking the rest of the hills soon before they are underneath houses and lost forever.
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

Upvote 0

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
NICE finds, GL. I'm a potsherd freak, myself! Love to find pottery. Nice scraper too. Sounds like you need to go back early again and spend more time there.....

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Molly said:
Nice finds, shame the Savanah River was broken.

Molly. :)
That's what I thought too when I saw it. It's just a convincing rock unfortunately.
But when it's lying on a hill strewn with pottery fragments it makes you pounce on it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread