Amazing Find!!

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hey everyone, here is an unbelievable point I found this morning while sifting river gravel. The asphaultum hafting is still attached, and even more amazing is a piece of the wooden shaft is still present. I'm not sure what to do with it or how to preserve it, i'm leaving it in a cup of water till I get some more info. I'm thinking the wood is the most fragile part and if I let it dry out it might disintegrate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way,this was found in SE Texas. Thanks, Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0860_1.JPG
    IMG_0860_1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,897
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 7,855
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 7,818
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 7,790
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,756
Upvote 0

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would say that's museum quality right there, very impressive.

I wouldn't even dream of trying to preserve such an incredible thing myself, hard as it would be i'd turn it over to the pros :'(

At least you can probably get your name attached to it when it's displayed (more of a legacy than most finds would ever get) and maybe a free museum membership to go see it :)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Josh, Gonna be a long time before you come down out of the clouds with this one! Holy smokes! The BEST right there. Congrats on the banner!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Nice find. My buddy found an Indian bowl in the dunes here in CA once. It had a hole knocked in the bottom and was plugged with a stone glued in with tar. I was with him. He was bummed he found a "busted pot". I told him, are you crazy? That is a one of a kind. It shows they fixed it instead of tossing it. We have a lot of natural tar (crude oil) seapage out here also.

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
that is really awesome!!! i wouldnt let it out of my sight if i was you things like that have a tendency to be claimed by people who didnt find them

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a once in a life time find. Congrats!

Definitely keep it wet. Everything but the stone will decay rapidly if dried.

Don't hesitate to take it to the University archaeologists. If collected on private property the artifact is the legal property of the land owner. You should insist that they acknowledge in writing that you are loaning the artifact only, not giving it to them. Also ask that they obtain your permission before any analysis/procedure which might damage the artifact.

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/archeology/aapdfs/Artifact_Collecting.pdf

That said, there is an incredible amount of information contained in that find. Materials, techniques, wood for carbon dating, etc. that can come from no other source. Ethical researchers will gladly agree to the above conditions in order to properly document the find. If they won't, move on to another researcher. Personally, I'd call the number in the above link. And so long as you know about were you found it, you haven't destroyed any data that river transport hadn't already removed. I'm an geoarchaeology PhD student at the University of Georgia.

Sheldius

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Nice find and I agree with Sheldius 100% It's not just a cool find, it really has potential to yield a lot of information. A stop at the University would be high on my list as would be finding out more on carbon dating-

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Awesome.

I wouldn't take it anywhere until you get somebody with property on the river to agree to let you find stuff there and be the owner of found items. Or at least a partial owner.

In writing!!
I would hate to see it taken away. You have nothing unless it is legally yours. Sad but true.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Sheldius said:
Wow, that is a once in a life time find. Congrats!

Definitely keep it wet. Everything but the stone will decay rapidly if dried.

Don't hesitate to take it to the University archaeologists. If collected on private property the artifact is the legal property of the land owner. You should insist that they acknowledge in writing that you are loaning the artifact only, not giving it to them. Also ask that they obtain your permission before any analysis/procedure which might damage the artifact.

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/archeology/aapdfs/Artifact_Collecting.pdf

That said, there is an incredible amount of information contained in that find. Materials, techniques, wood for carbon dating, etc. that can come from no other source. Ethical researchers will gladly agree to the above conditions in order to properly document the find. If they won't, move on to another researcher. Personally, I'd call the number in the above link. And so long as you know about were you found it, you haven't destroyed any data that river transport hadn't already removed. I'm an geoarchaeology PhD student at the University of Georgia.

Sheldius
Good information. I had a Chumash piece on loan at the Museum of Natural History in Santa Barbara, CA. They gave me a detailed receipt. Very professional.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fantastic find - well done! Keep us informed of how the preservation goes and any advice that the University provides on how best to preserve similar items.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that finds like that were made in a dry desert arid cave environment....what a treasure! Thanks so much for sharing....Steve

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
OMG :evil5: it says right here that its mine :evil6:
thats an unbelievable find. i cant tell you how many times ive had my eyes to the ground in injun territory and have yet to find anything and you find that? hats off to you :notworthy: and keep checking that area.

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
DESTILLED WATER !!! ONLY!! THE CHEMICALS IN YOUR DRINKING WATER WILL ATTACK THE INTEGRATY OF YOUR FIND :icon_study: NICE FIND :thumbsup:

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad someone such as yourself came across this priceless treasure. Someone else may have decided to "clean" it off!
Have you thought about storing the piece in it's appropriate water bath; then placing it in the fridge? I know some wooden artifacts such as old Native American canoes that had been submersed in lakes for centuries are preserved by using a sugar-water brine. Don't try this of course unless you consult with an expert!
Awesome, simply awesome find!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DymonsNRust

odave

Nov 20, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3 DFX
Philvis said:
Josh,
Keep it wet and contact the University of Texas at Austin archaeology department. They will be able to assist you with preservation. Organics rarely survive so you have a pretty significant find. I'm a former archaeologist and still have some contacts, so let me know if you need any assistance.

Great Advise !!!! Please follow it !!! Congrats on Banner !!! Well deserved

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions