The Mano , the other Hard-Stone tool .

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
JPEGnicefitone.jpg

I’m no expert , but I’ll try my best to come off as one here . O.K. to start “Mano” is Spanish for “hand” . The mano [hand-stone] is used on a Metate [Grinding-stone ] . Now I must assume that many if not all Native- American cultures would have found the need at some point the need to grind some grass-seed , nuts , fruit , herbs , minerals even insects [ they did here in California] . So I believe there is a very good chance of finding a mano or a metate where ever you are finding other types of artifacts .
As the Bison was the center of many cultures on the Great Plains , here in California the acorn was the center of many cultures. Now as cultures center around any certain type of activity, there tools related to that activity will become highly refined. As with the large-game hunters ,there atalatal-weights , there fluted laneolates could be called perfect to form .
Now here in California as I stated earlier the center of cultural activity was the acorn . The harvesting , the preparation to a palatable meal, and even the storage of the acorn has led to some highly refined tools/ artifacts in the form of Olla’s [pottery vessel’s] , some of the most beautiful water-tight basketry in are nation, even the lowly mano has been transformed into a fine -lined hard-stone tool , good form will always fallow function...
I suppose most mano’s started life out like most other hard-stone tools , as water-worn cobbles. Why a particular cobble was chosen , color , shape, durability or just availability, most likely a factor of all . Now I don’t believe that much work , if any was done to these cobbles before they where used as a mano , but there are always exceptions . In support of this idea, I’ve found many mano’s in various “stages”of use/wear .
I don’t believe you should compare /gage mano’s from other cultures or area’s to mine for two reasons . One; My collection is /was highly selective for shape and polish . Two; These Californian [Luiseno/Diegueno] mano’s are a bit of a “Hybrid” , that is in there use/ form they have pestle type traits . With that said , the metate’s used with these hybrid mano’s would be considered, by many a mortar. I don’t want to digress into a mortar/pestle thing , so best to refer to the pic.’s , better seen then explained ... I also realize I haven’t helped you to recognize a more typical mano ... the pic’s will help with this as well.
Now, I must admit here, that I didn’t always appreciate the mano for what it was. As it belonged in a ancient kitchen , not in the hand of some warrior of the past, I didn’t find them “Es Moy Matcho”.... * But in reality, in California* it was the tool that feed an ancient culture ,.. And deserves a bit of respect..

*But in reality , in California *an Oxymoron , if taken out of given text...

Blindpig

JPEGmonosselct.jpg

A variety of mano's , some expert has even typed them , Oval , Bell and Cubic the bottom right ? A narrow bell , ..or a four-sided pestle? Other terms often used in mano description are unifacial , bifacial and even trifacial, ...I don't believe I have any of those .

Note; The red mineral on the metate , an iron min. ? or possibly Cinibar , very bright red ?

JPEGcrosssec.jpg

JPEGcrosssectwo.jpg

Trying to show how deep and narrow some Californian metates / morters are , and the pestle traits of some mano's

JPEGmoretypicalmetate.jpg

Maybe a more "typical" metate , In general I would say this type [in fact this one ] wuold come from a transitinal [>1600 B.P. ] site . The mano's usually associated are unifacial .

JPEGmanorsface.jpg

JPEGmanorsedge.jpg

JPEGmanorsend.jpg

The quintessential of Californian mano's, ....The lines are as good as any axe ......Well, almost !

There you go , I believe I've done a fine job playing up the mano , and at the same time not really helping anyone . So ,... I suppose I did a fair job ..........coming off like an expert, that is!

Sincerely; Blindpig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
* In reality,in California* -An oxy"boron" if taken out of given text .
I think there filters are [prohbited words deleted] here !.... Dang they did it again...

JPEGholeinone.jpg

Yep! I do believe thats a hole-in-one !

Thanks Guys , I do appreciate your encouragement. Now many of you will find this hard to believe but , writing doen't come easy for me, a frustrating handicap . I do enjoy writing these longer post , its good practice for me . I can only hope that someone can actually learn something from one , and have a laugh as well .
Well , I've started [weeks ago] yet anoether post , about the Australian Aboriginal . The research is going a bit slow [my choice?] as even the tribal name from witch many of my artifacts came from has 14 recognized spellings [Illaura] , and as I figure there will be at lest 16-18 by the time I'm done with that post!! Anyway thanks again .
From wayyyyyy out in left field ; Blindpig

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
very interesting and informative. thanks for the info..............(grumbling under breath) now i have something else to be looking for and not finding.........

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Saturday morning I found myself at a cross-road , and for some reason I looked back over my left shoulder [I think my sub-conscius made me do it !!] There , just in sight an area that had given up a few points , years ago. Well the light changed , but I knew that I'd be back within the hour to get these pic.s... and possibly a point or two . It felt good , just walking slow , having a look , no points , but took my pic.s , had a few thoughts on the past , one I think I'll share on Ivan Salis post on Indian trade beads .

Typical Bed-Rock mortar Holes ; The deepest one here , is about 12 in. deep . I've never found one "just rought -in " , but I believe over generations they just get deeper . Now just think, how many acorns would you have to grind ,... with out to much stone-dust to make a few of these holes ? Hard to believe , that thay weren't made then used ?
Now I've found 100 [+?] manos , one conicial shaped pestle [well two , but my little buddy Sal moves a bit quicker !] in areas covered with these mortar holes . Now thats about the only fact I have about the pestle traits of the bifacial mano , and the fact that the manos fit the holes so nicely .

The pic of the Hole-in-one [earlyer post] these "bowl" type metate/mortars become a rarer find whole when there bottoms get down around 1 1/2 in.

Sincerly ; Blindpig

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen several members post where these are in large rocks near creeks and areas with lots of nut trees, years of using that same area, you can just picture the women working there, great pics and thanks for sharing those!

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
JPEGmonotort.jpg

Dang.. Doug ! , I just had MYSELF convinced that's how it all worked ? I suppose , if you never have seen them before that this line of rocks with some holes may look odd . You may even try to explain them as a natural weather/ water erosion . We have a lot [all hills/ Mts even soil ] are granite but these holes are habitation site specific , that is in and around them you will find cultural medians , a dark soil with pottery frag's , lithic wast/tools, bone , etc. I hope this helps ? but if you have any specific questions , I try to explaine them away as well . I'm still having a hard time believing they didn't make 'em then use 'em , but in the second pic . you can see them in varius stages use/ wear !
Now , if anyone has given a thought on how long it took to to "grind" these holes ? Now I don't beleive I've stated this , but the acorns prepared in these holes have been leached for a bit , it would be more like mashing cooked potatoes .

Anyway; Blindpig

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
My Tortoise is not for sale ,.. . My Tortoise is for scale ,.. one tortoise equals eight turtles , but I've seen turtles that would have done eight my tortoise in one bit ..

Blindpig need coffee!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump
This was before I joined and typed myself into oblivion. Anyways....... this is a most excellant post sir Bindpig !!!!!!!!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for bumping this one Tn, totally enjoyable and I did learn something. we found a rock shelter with a huge table size boulder that had fallen from the ceiling of the shelter. It had a few grinding holes on the top of it, as well as grooves worn along the edge. The deepest hole was deep enough for me to put my arm in, almost up to my elbow. How long did that take? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
TnMnt’s , read it last night,. Its been a while , today I believe I could do better . But that’s the point , my writing skills have improved ,..a wee bit of exercise can go a long way !!
Anyway , been look’n to get a laptop , been working out of town ,and there isn’t much time to “play” with this stuff when home. I have a good rough/ finish ? Draft for another post similar to this one on heating/ cooking stones from cali . And then there’s my notes /draft ? For the Australian Aboriginal , which is going to change to more of a prospective , from a kid who liked history and was intrigued with the Aboriginal people ,during some odd times of the early 70's for the Aboriginal people.
Yeah ?? ,...we’ll See ??....Blindpig

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
bp, i missed this post, thank you for teaching us all! i too have the same scenero as you, with the bed rock mortars, over here they named them "indian wells" . i have personally found some that exceed 18in, and this last year i actually found a mano still in one, just sitting there, a wonderful sight. the majority of the manos from my area come crom basin matates and grinding slabs, i was told when i was younger the morters were in the thousands in the foothills, now the only ones that remain are to big for vehicles to eaisly remove, and are a thrill to find everytime .

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
all i know that is one cool pile of mano's, they did there job and
they took care of the poor brave when his eyes wondered...! ouch!

JYD...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread