Indian camp find

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have so much packed away in boxes and have been doing a little cleaning out lately to try to find some of my interesting finds, when I came across this item. I found it next to a small lake in an area that was ones an Indian camp site. It is a counter weight for a Roman scale. I have searched for many years before I finally saw one just like it in the Milwaukee Public Museum. Theirs is the same size as mine so it is not too badly damaged. I always thought that it may be the head of a statue that had broken off. But it may prove that the Indians were trading with the Romans when they were here nearly two thousand years ago. So far mostly Roman nails have been found and ax heads. But also things from the Vikings, Egyptians, Hebrews and who knows how many more were here so long ago.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS forgot the photo in my haste!

Attachments

• Indian Camp 1.JPG
    Indian Camp 1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 561
  • Indian Camp 2.JPG
    Indian Camp 2.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Indian Camp 3.JPG
    Indian Camp 3.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 535

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Location? Where are you located, or where was it found? It looks like the head of a 'Bow Maiden' to me. I've seen pieces of them throughout my hunts up and down the Ohio River. They were the statue or carving that was on the front of naval vessels in the old days. Is that one bronze?

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located in Wisconsin. It was found about 30 to 50 miles West of Milwaukee. I don't remember the exact place. But remember, I did see one EXACTLY like it in the museum. It was in a Roman display of 2000 years ago.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The florist guy was Mercury, Messenger of the gods. He had wings on his shoes and hat.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have so much packed away in boxes and have been doing a little cleaning out lately to try to find some of my interesting finds, when I came across this item. I found it next to a small lake in an area that was ones an Indian camp site. It is a counter weight for a Roman scale. I have searched for many years before I finally saw one just like it in the Milwaukee Public Museum. Theirs is the same size as mine so it is not too badly damaged. I always thought that it may be the head of a statue that had broken off. But it may prove that the Indians were trading with the Romans when they were here nearly two thousand years ago. So far mostly Roman nails have been found and ax heads. But also things from the Vikings, Egyptians, Hebrews and who knows how many more were here so long ago.

And just when were the Romans ever on American soil? Just exactly what proof do you have of this? Didn't you also claim that Dinosaurs and man roamed the Earth at the same time? What ever happened to your proof of that? I know that Vikings were in North America, but that was up around Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, not in Wisconsin. Romans, Egyptians, and Hebrews in North America 2000 years ago??? Man, just what are you smoking over there in Wisconsin???

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
You've seriously been reading too many conspiracies. There have been several ... no, let me rephrase that .... PLENTY of speculative papers written on the subject in the past 100 years. The problem with all of them is that none of them state factual information or findings, and ALL of them can be disproven. Sure, we can sit around and come up with ANY possibility of the past, but it does not make it fact.

For instance ... do you honestly believe that the Hebrews or Romans found the New World prior to the Spanish? Why aren't there any findings of this beyond speculation? Also, if the Romans found the American Continent why didn't they populate it or influence the natives in any way? Study of ancient Roman history would have taught you that. Then there is the statement that "maybe the Hebrews populated the Americas! ". Well, if you believe that one then I have a book for you .... it's called the Book of Mormon. They started this theory and propaganda years ago, and if you buy into it then you can join their cult if you'd like. ;D

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it could be and probably is a copy. But keep in mind that it was found at a very old camp site and the visitors always traded with the Indians. It is made of pewter.
I never said that the Hebrews populated the old America.
Now Dorkfish, you have a lot to learn about the ancient world. Start reading because I am not going to argue with you about something that you know nothing about. But in all fairness I will point you in the right direction. The Romens were here in about the year 800AD. Check out Silverbell Road materials, Tucson AZ., Sept. 13, 1924. You also might like to read a mag on the internet, if it is still there, I haven't checked, www.ancientamerican.com. Good luck in your adventure.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really doesn't matter to me whom lost it, or how long it has been in the ground......that is one very, very cool find....!congrats....Steve

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
jimb said:
Yes, it could be and probably is a copy. But keep in mind that it was found at a very old camp site and the visitors always traded with the Indians. It is made of pewter.
I never said that the Hebrews populated the old America.
Now Dorkfish, you have a lot to learn about the ancient world. Start reading because I am not going to argue with you about something that you know nothing about. But in all fairness I will point you in the right direction. The Romens were here in about the year 800AD. Check out Silverbell Road materials, Tucson AZ., Sept. 13, 1924. You also might like to read a mag on the internet, if it is still there, I haven't checked, www.ancientamerican.com. Good luck in your adventure.

I hate to say this, but Dorkfish knows quite a lot about American History. I'll vouch for that!

As for the 'Ancient American' magazine being a source of your beliefs .... I think you need to go back and reread them, because I know the article you are thinking about, and it has been disproven. If it's the same one I am thinking about it was originally written and translated by a Spanish archaeologist back in the 1920's or early 1930's. It said something along the lines of beliefs based on the findings of figurines that resembled Osiris, the Egyptian God, and they were found in some Aztec ruins. It was later disproven by an American archaeologist. If I need to dig up the article I can, but please take my word for it!!! The bottom line is ... you cannot take the Ancient American Magazine's printed articles on much more than entertainment. They are nothing more than low budget reading material that I would equate to the Sunday Comics. Anyone can write in and talk about anything. I read an article in there not to long ago about 'Dutch Indians in America'. I saw it as nothing more than an off the wall theory with no proof. You have to watch what you read.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off jimb, if you are going to argue about something at least be able to spell it correctly. It is Roman, not Romen and if you would do a little research yourself you will find that the Romans were never this far east, or west for that matter, in their conquests. I know enough about Roman history to know that if they had come to North America they would have conquered it just like the Spanish did and we would see evidence of that, which there is none. What did they do, just come for vacation and then go back home??? I also know that by 800 AD the Roman empire wasn't very strong and was in the throes of falling apart. By 200 to 300 AD the Goths, the Persians, and the German barbarians were attacking and destroying most of what Rome had conquered. Claudius II did defeat the Goths and the empire was restored somewhat, but it was never as strong as it was in it's heyday.

You need to go to this website and read about the Roman Empire and tell me where you see any reference about them traveling to North America and establishing any colonies.

http://www.forumromanum.org/history/morey01.html

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spell check should have caught that! I type 120 words per minute and make lots of spelling errors, hence spell check!

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
luckyinkentucky said:
The bottom line is ... you cannot take the Ancient American Magazine's printed articles on much more than entertainment. They are nothing more than low budget reading material that I would equate to the Sunday Comics. Anyone can write in and talk about anything. I read an article in there not to long ago about 'Dutch Indians in America'. I saw it as nothing more than an off the wall theory with no proof. You have to watch what you read.

Boy I wish I had seen this before I dropped five bucks on an issue of that mag!
I got excited when I saw the cover, thinking I had found a good archaeological periodical, and bought it without looking any closer. When I got it home and opened it, the first article that caught my eye was about archaeological evidence of giants in North America! :o I read it through anyway and came to the exact same conclusion as luckyinkentucky. Only he worded his appraisal much more politely than I did at the time. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread