Concretion material on an artifact?

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
don't use any acid. try white vinegar for the concretion. or just leave it on since there's no faking that type of deposit. finger nail polish remover works on glue or paint without harming patina.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have seen arrowheads set in walkways before.
I have found hardstones(grinders, hammerstones, etc.) at old houseplaces that have mortar on them. I am guessing they where used for fireplaces, wells and such.
There is also an old house down the road that has an OLD outbuilding with alot of chert that is mixed in with the cement.... some of the pieces even look like they were worked.
My grandpa told stories of bushel baskets of arrowheads being hauled out of particular fields around here so no doubt that some farmers seen these as being available to mix in with mortar.
Around here artifacts have been used in cement for different purposes.

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vinegar will help break down the mortar. reacts with the lime just as muriatic acid .vinegar is a 5% acid solution.
we use muriatic to clean brick as well as exposed aggregate. I've never seen it hurt real stone(will eat sand or cultured stone)eats metal, lime and patina.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread