ID help on a very cool find

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Unfortunately it isn't mine, but this was found by a co-worker, and sometimes relic-hunting buddy in Loudoun County Virginia. It is absolutely flawless, and smooth as can be. This guy has un uncanny eye for arrowheads, and other artifacts, and has plucked over 1,000 of them from the dirt. The object in the picture is a Quarter for size reference. Anyone here have an estimate of the age of this piece, and/or know why the hole is in it ?

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like your buddy has found himself a killer Pendant, probably Woodland in age and maybe an Adena type. The thing that is throwing me is the way the hole is drilled. It looks like it was drilled in sideways instead of straight through the piece. I wonder if it was possibly something else that was salvaged and made into a Pendant. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say.

By the way, your buddy is one lucky son of a gun. That is one killer piece.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
The first thing that came to mind was a celt...Have no idea about the hole... Carried around on a strap...1st tool belt? :icon_scratch: Beautiful whatever it is.

T.

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
The hole in one side is at an angle, and it is straight on the other side. It looks like it was very intentional. I don't know if that makes much of a difference, but you can see it in the pictures.

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
looks like a celt that was drilled for a pendant,ive seen a few but they were slate not hardstone,very nice find

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
An interesting piece...the hole could have been drilled first in the rough blank, then the axe/pendant shaped around it, that would account for the side drilling which would have been very hard for them to do in such a hard stone. Other scenario is that the rock had a natural occlusion that weathered out and was enlarged by them with a drill. Hole looks to be drilled from both sides.

May have at first been a natural hole, but I dont think so. Looks like the outer part was an earlier attempt to drill. I do know that cultures in Mexico way back before the Aztecs worshipped an "Axe god".
I know that seems to mean nothing for up here, but think about the pyramid mounds we have all through the South and S.E. Seaboard....Virginia included... I say pendant. Axes or at least what they may have been assosiated with were important to that maker. The fact thats is more a celt form would mean Woodland period.
A most nice find.

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks for all the input. Now he has more info to start looking around a bit. HH !

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Maybe I'm going out on a limb to say the holes were drilled
sideways so the lashing would sink in so it wouldn't bulge
out from the side. Looks like it has wear from the one edge
being a bit. Trophy celt? Cool piece. :thumbsup:

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me more like a celt edge than a pendant, so I am going with the tool belt theory as well!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread