Large Bead

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Afternoon,

This large bead was recovered about 100 miles south of my city in the central portion of Louisiana. I believe it to be Tchefuncte Culture in origin or associated with the Marksville culture. The Tchefuncte predated the Marksville people; the Marksville people experienced a great deal of Hopewellian influence and this object could reflect that inflence in ground and polished stone items. I believe the material is varigated Red River Jasper (my name for it). It is heavily patinated and there are swirls of color as you can see in the photographs but none of the characteristic reds or tans/browns are showing; they're covered by the patina in my humble opinion. Other jasper beads originate from the area of the recovery. However trade was utilized during these time periods and this could be some other type of stone. Being covered with patina, it is difficult at best to identify so the author depends on experience with other known bead material in his assertations.

I have several beads in my collection but this is by far the largest. It is drilled all the way through and I wish I had taken a picture of that too so everyone could see but; it's just a hole anyway.The hole is quite straight considering the length of the bead is in excess of 4 1/2 inches. It is completely intact with no damage. Also, it is very smooth with no visable tool marks remaining.

I offer two different photographs for viewing with different backgrounds and lighting conditions. Natural daylight was used and the color rendition is mostly accurate.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 317
  • P1010094.JPG
    P1010094.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bead spot. I have some Bone Beads that are that long, but no stone ones. Very impressive find.

Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Hey Atlantis,

Great bead! Odd to see it solid red with out a tan swirl although I've seen a few "solids" like this. Diameter is about like mine. Nice find. I have a skinny one a little longer than this...I'm not sure if I have a photograph of it or not. If so, I'll post it.

Thanks for sharing the pics,

spot

bluecat

Feb 21, 2007
Spot,

Here is a red jasper bead my wife found in Alabama from the poverty point culture. Poverty Point artifacts are rare in this area. Are Poverty Point artifacts common in your area?

Awesome bead, but I believe that your bead is made from something other than red jasper though. The only beads that I have found are slate and are split in half.

Later,
Rob

Attachments

• Owl Pendant.JPG
    Owl Pendant.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 329
  • owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Owl Pendant.JPG
    Owl Pendant.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 248
  • owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 248
OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Poverty Point Culture items are not common in my area although some are found here. I've seen a few owls and a bird from around here. The owls I saw were all alike and a little different from yours; particularly, the eyes.

The bead I pictured in not what I would call "soft" material. It is a pretty dense stone and hard.

Thanks for sharing,

spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions