Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a beauty, the pic of the side view is exquisit. :o
Indeed those Indians were very naturally talented, this is why I can't understand why some 'Effigies' posted don't really look like anything but natural rock. ::)
Thankyou very much for sharin' Rockman, Excellent.

Molly :)

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
rockman,

I was afraid someone would start dragging out the Cody Complex. With me, that's like waving a whiskey bottle in front of an alcoholic. I LOVE Cody!

Great piece and in great condition. Is that a little patina haze I see in pic II? Is it extra polished from being in the lake sand?

Tell us more and also, when was it recovered.

Thanks for showing,

spot

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
Molly said:
Wow, what a beauty, the pic of the side view is exquisit. :o
Indeed those Indians were very naturally talented, this is why I can't understand why some 'Effigies' posted don't really look like anything but natural rock. ::)
Thankyou very much for sharin' Rockman, Excellent.

Molly :)

::) that effigy thread is a hoot !

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
spot said:
rockman,

I was afraid someone would start dragging out the Cody Complex. With me, that's like waving a whiskey bottle in front of an alcoholic. I LOVE Cody!

Great piece and in great condition. Is that a little patina haze I see in pic II? Is it extra polished from being in the lake sand?

Tell us more and also, when was it recovered.

Thanks for showing,

spot
2nd pic does show a patina haze, I like to call it "frosting" . It might have a little sand polish, I've never thought so, It's just a very "greasy"
material, I'm afraid it will slip out of my hand everytime I hold it.
The story on it is I was at the Temple show back in 2000 and Nelson Cowles from Hallsville Tx had this piece along with a few other
lesser pieces of flint and a bunch of pottery. People were all over this Scotty and old Nelson wouldn't sell ! Of course I expressed my
interest and paid him several visits, made an offer and was politely rejected. Late in the day I spent some time at his table and bought
a minature encised Spool neck bottle from him and begged a little more on the Scotty. I went home without it as did everyone else. So I continued to call Nelson at least once a month to make small talk and check on this piece all the while assuring him IF he ever did sell
I would keep it in my collection for as long as possible with no intention of reselling at a profit. After about a year of this I guess he finally
got tired of me calling and sold it under the condtion that I do a package deal and buy the Scotty and a Clovis together, which I agreed to.
Nelson bought it off the finder but wouldn't reveal that person's name. It was found in the spring of 2000. Nelson told me there was a couple of other big money TX collectors courting this piece too but he decided to let me have it because they had too many Scottsbluffs as it was and didn't need another one ;D which of course made my day ! This is one of my favorite pieces and I doubt that will change.

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
rockman,

Yes, I know Nelson and have been at his home before; he's 55 miles down the road from me. I have seen this piece before but it wasn't at the temple show in 2000, I wasn't there. I believe it was at his home or the little shop next to his home.

Lake of the Pines has produced some excellent finds. It's all very off limits now with strictly enforced rules.

There are some big money boys over in Texas that have some nice scotties, that's a fact. Glad you got it! Congrats! It's a super piece!

Excellent material and flaking.

Thanks for showing,

spot

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
spot said:
rockman,

Yes, I know Nelson and have been at his home before; he's 55 miles down the road from me. I have seen this piece before but it wasn't at the temple show in 2000, I wasn't there. I believe it was at his home or the little shop next to his home.

Lake of the Pines has produced some excellent finds. It's all very off limits now with strictly enforced rules.

There are some big money boys over in Texas that have some nice scotties, that's a fact. Glad you got it! Congrats! It's a super piece!

Excellent material and flaking.

Thanks for showing,

spot
You probably saw it in the little shop beside his house, that's where he had it when I went down and picked it up. I lived in Oklahoma City at the time and moved to S. W. Missouri in 2003 for work, I kinda miss living in OK, I loved going to TX shows, Some great flint down there ! But Missouri is fun too, especially since I found that Clovis back in June !! I knew there was a very good reason I had to move here !

Lake 'O' The Pines...yep, that aint far from me at all.
What messed up the hunting there was some jerks went onto the public land and started digging up Caddo graves. Same story with Wright Patman res...etc.
Soooo the archies use incidents like that to lumb law abiding citizens in the same category as the crimminals in order to make sure that we are all prevented from the possibility of finding anything. (just a power trip for em)
BTW, supernice point. If I found that, I'd still be gloating ten years later!!
I'll post some of my Scottys sometime.

OP
OP
rockman0_12

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri
Jonnyreb said:
Lake 'O' The Pines...yep, that aint far from me at all.
What messed up the hunting there was some jerks went onto the public land and started digging up Caddo graves. Same story with Wright Patman res...etc.
Soooo the archies use incidents like that to lumb law abiding citizens in the same category as the crimminals in order to make sure that we are all prevented from the possibility of finding anything. (just a power trip for em)
BTW, supernice point. If I found that, I'd still be gloating ten years later!!
I'll post some of my Scottys sometime.

That's good to know, My mother in law lives in Gilmer and we visit several times a year, I'd been planning on going over to hunt Lake of the Pines next trip down, I could have gone to jail ! I'll have to come up with Plan B !
Post some of your Scottys sometime, I'd love to see them, I don't have many but they are one of my favorite types. Thanks !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread