HELP FOR A NEW MEMBER

pdougan

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2008
la grange nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELLO all! i was just wondering if anyone had any info for the la grange, seven springs or goldsboro area for md'ing. im just getting my feet wet in detecting and am having a little trouble finding info for the area. i have researched the seven springs area a little from the internet and am thinking of going there and looking around. but any tips on finding information for these areas would be great.

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
First off Cliffs of the Neuse State Park would be off limits.
From the topo map it looks like a lot of swamp or bottom land in the area. (1957 Goldsboro topo)
Gypsy posted a site with old mills. You might check if any are near you. http://millpictures.com/index.cfm
Then there are the typical school yards, neighborhood parks.
La Grange has a rail line through it. There must have been or still is a depot there.
Find out who owns the land and ask if you can practice MD'ing.

So folks on this board hunt farm fields. See if any military activity occurred in the area and ask the farmers permission to walk his field.
If you need help with research shoot me an email at [email protected].
Good luck
JG

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Found this out about La Grange and beyond.
LA GRANGE, (113 alt., 1,500 pop. 1939), a trading center with a
hardware-manufacturing plant, was first known as Rantersville (or Rambertsville)
and later Moseley Hall. The latter was the name of the nearby
plantation of Edward Moseley (d. 1749) and the birthplace
of William Dunn Moseley (1795-1863), first elected Governor of Florida.
No traces of the plantation or hall remain.

And between there and Kinston there was a Woman's Industrial Farm Colony (reformatory / prison opened in 1929 with 275 inmates)
Then the Caswell Training School. A State institution for mentally defective juveniles.

The highway crosses the muddy Neuse River, subject to floods
after excessive upstate rains. In the river, but usually invisible, is the hull
of the Confederate gunboat Neuse, built near Seven Springs and floated
to Kinston to be fitted with armor plate. The vessel, grounded by low water,
was destroyed in 1865 to prevent its falling into the hands of Federal
troops.

Tarheel boys

Jan 14, 2008
Southeastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, White's Classic II
Muddy Waters has a ton of info on the surrounding area... especially Goldsboro. The Goldsboro and Wayne County area had lots of CW troops and encampments. I am sure he has posted here about looking for someone to hunt with. We both work here on base together at Seymour. I will speak with him when he returns to the station today about your request. Look him up here.

OP
OP
pdougan

pdougan

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2008
la grange nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the help. i found out during the civil war la grange was called mosley hall. the 4th nc cav was assingend here during the battle of white hall (now seven springs) they were called to reinforce white hall during the battle so i might find some items in the fields in my back yard lol. dont know about encampments or such yet i plan on hitting the library today and see if i can get some pictures form newspapers and such. i am also assinged to the base but i am in the 916 reserve unit there. also found there was an old mill right down the road from me. found it on a soil map dated 1927 i drive right by the spot every morning taking my kids to school. it's not standing there anymore but might be a good place to hunt.

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Here is a crop from an 1833 map.

LaGrange.JPG

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I found this little bit on the ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEENTH REGIMENT OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/r_barhorst/Ancestor_of_Ralph_Barhorst.html

On February 20th, it engaged in a sharp action at Town creek, in which three hundred horsemen and two pieces of artillery were captured and then, entered Wilmington on the 22nd. On the 6th of March it moved to Kingston, then to Goldsboro, and joining Sherman's army on the 23rd of March. It then camped at Mosley Hall until April 9th, when it participated in the final operations against Johnston. It then camped near Raleigh until May 3rd, when it move to Greensboro, and then to Salisbury

OP
OP
pdougan

pdougan

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2008
la grange nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info. i found a book about the history of la grange and it says that there was a cw training camp here but dont know where exactly it would be got to go back tomorrow and check the name of it. its a refrence book and i couldnt check it out >:(

OP
OP
pdougan

pdougan

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2008
la grange nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok here is somthing. look a at the map u gave me after i imposed it on google earth. the black line is the road i use now and it is the same as on the map also look at the highway it runs right to wanesbourgh on the map which is goldsboro now wierd huh

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 274

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread