meeulk

Jan 2, 2009
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks,
I live in Raleigh and just got my first detector.
Anything you can tell me about when, where, and how would be greatly appreciated.
By this I mean...
What's legal?
Do you go in broad daylight or under the disguise of darkness?
What's your experience with private land?
Are people willing to let you dig up their yard?
Are local parks legal? (I know state/national parks are off limits.)
Are school grounds legal?
Are there trespassing issues that go along with this hobby?
Where do you go?

Thank you kindly for any answers you can provide! I've read through much of the Raleigh threads, but still have lots of questions (obviously) and am very reluctant to take my md out with me until I feel comfortable with the all the rules...

johnhinnc

Greenie
Jan 22, 2008
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm in Raleigh as well. The best advice I can give you is to hunt your own yard, elementary schools are good, city parks are good, look at old maps. I got my Ace250 a year ago and have found lots of good things.

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Just be sure a clean up after yourself. Fill the holes and take the trash you dig.
The goal is to recover without leaving a mess.

There are some good videos on here on the proper digging methods.

Other than that, have fun. Start slow. It will take a while for you to learn the nuances of your machine.
Soon it will be like second nature. But until then you may find yourself digging every signal and end up with a bag full of trash.

I agree to start in your own yard first. Parks are good but state parks are off limits.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.
JG

OP
OP
meeulk

meeulk

Jan 2, 2009
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies!

So, sounds like city parks and schools are legal?

It stinks because I live in a new construction home... which means the only thing that could possibly be buried in my yard is nails...
That could be good practice though.

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Keep in mind the land was there before the new construction.
Do some research and find out if any farms or factories might have been nearby.

My mom has a newer home and she found some horseshoes in her yard.
Horse kind not the pitching kind.

If you need help locating research just give a shout.
What part of Raleigh are you in?

OP
OP
meeulk

meeulk

Jan 2, 2009
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm near the Angus Barn, Umstead Park, and the Airport.
Google maps showed a field before the neighborhood was built...

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Let me see what I can find for older maps or aerials. Umstead State Park would be off limits.
Lake Crabtree Co. Park might be ok but keep an eye out for posted signs.
You have a good size school off Country Trail that will help get you familiar with your machine.
Just make sure not to be the creepy person lurking during school hours. Respect the ball fields.

Just think about where people may have dropped stuff while picnicking or watching the game.
That is a dense area so if you are looking for older stuff you may have to go further out.
But a newer diamond ring in a platinum setting might be better than a wheat penny.....

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
B|lker, and I'm in Raleigh, too.

Forget the parks. I think B|lker has already cleaned them out. :wink:

bbqcook

Apr 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Soveriegn GT, DFX, Ace 250
meeulk said:
I'm near the Angus Barn, Umstead Park, and the Airport.
Google maps showed a field before the neighborhood was built...

meeulk, I am near Leesville school. I found a 87 class ring there last week. and a couple dollars of change.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meeulk,
Welcome to TN. I'm going to give you a spot that should keep you busy all year long. Like NC-Joe said though, PLEASE be sure to fill your holes in neatly so future detectorists can continue to go there.
I've had great luck at this spot, and have only hit a tiny part of it twice (once each year). I usually don't hit parks much anymore, because I got hooked on old properties now. Both times I've been to this place I've scored some nice rings, and there is plenty of clad to be found too.
Here's a few posts of mine from this park:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200251.msg1418726.html#msg1418726

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,115343.msg844508.html#msg844508

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,200258.msg1418785.html#msg1418785

Seek out Durant Nature Park. From your area, take 540 and get off on Capital Blvd going north. Take a left on Gresham Lake Rd.
Take your first right (I forgot the street name) and you will come to a back entrance parking lot just beyond the sharp curve past the lumber company. Park in that lot and walk in over the bridge. There you will find a beach area by the lake on the left (best spot). On the right there is a huge open grass area, two large play areas, picnic areas, horseshoe pit, volleyball area, etc.
If you follow the path up the slight hill you will run into a large picnic area with more play areas. They have summer camp there too.
The finds are really endless. Of course if you are digging for gold rings you will have to dig up the pull tabs too. Now is a good time to go because the dirt is softer. In the summer it can get rock hard in some areas. Just hit it every few months as it will replenish itself with new finds. This is a great place to dig a variety of finds and hone your skills.
There is also an old homestead back in the woods with an old chimney still standing. A friend at work (also new to detecting) showed me a dated 1800's suspender clip from that spot. To get to it, you park in that back lot. Follow the SMALL trail on the left side of the parking lot, (not the large dirt road to the lake), and keep walking until you spot it.
I wish you luck. If you find an expensive ring, I only charge a 25% commission. :wink:
Good luck,
Doug
-MM-

P.S. NEVER hunt private property without getting permission! Just ask the owner. It is usually a 50/50 chance on getting an o.k.

falcon93

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2008
The Durant Nature Park was once the Original Camp Durant Boy Scout Camp - I cringe as I give out this tid-bit of info as i would love to have a little time hunting it. However, I am sure you can kinda figure out what was where as the overall layout probably hasn't changed much. The original camp moved - if I am not mistaken - in the early 1980's.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwsnc said:
B|lker, and I'm in Raleigh, too.

Forget the parks. I think B|lker has already cleaned them out. :wink:

Ahh, they are never ever cleaned out. Just cleaner for finding the good old deep stuff :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm up there Detecting at least twice a month. I Just knock on doors....I have detected some nice historic sites and recovered some nice relics for those folks.. You Just have to ask

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread