GB 2 any good in the piedmont red clay

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I live in Catawba co. near the old shuford gold mine. There has been gold found in
local creeks around the area & I would like to check my land but dont have any running water on it. Ive got about 22 acers of mostly up and down/hilly land, not good for farming or much else &
thinking of buying a gold bug 2 to check the land out. I dont know if it would work very well in my mostly red clay type soil?
I guess I need sugguestions on using a metal detector for this purpose or would there be a better way to prospect dry land. I have found small amounts of gold in several creeks surrounding my land but it not mine & the owner want allow any (real) digging so I need to find a way to prospect my
land.

lala09

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
White XLT / Surfmaster PI / Vision V3
chuckinnc said:
Hello everyone, I live in Catawba co. near the old shuford gold mine. There has been gold found in
local creeks around the area & I would like to check my land but dont have any running water on it. Ive got about 22 acers of mostly up and down/hilly land, not good for farming or much else &
thinking of buying a gold bug 2 to check the land out. I dont know if it would work very well in my mostly red clay type soil?
I guess I need sugguestions on using a metal detector for this purpose or would there be a better way to prospect dry land. I have found small amounts of gold in several creeks surrounding my land but it not mine & the owner want allow any (real) digging so I need to find a way to prospect my
land.
You can do two things you can buy a gold bug like you said or a highbanker recirculating sluice (link below) use a tote under it recirculate your water. If you have a old creek bed on your land that would be a starting point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/dredge-panning-...in_0?hash=item2ea73332cd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

jamace

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2009
morganton north carolina
chuckinnc said:
land.

i live in morganton do you have creeks or rivers on your land i have a web site please stop in http://goldnc.ohmylife.net/

C

Cappy Z.

Added the link to my favorites. My inlaws own a vacation home in Franklin.

I hear thar is gggold up thar in them hills......

Good Luck

OP
OP
C

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies, I have been doing other things over the winter. Yes there is alot of gold in the red clay it's hard to get it out of the clay, this stuff is like glue. If you go panning just remember
we dont have bedrock in the east but we have red clay & if in a creek dig down to clay, gold will stick to the top of it and go no further.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions