Need Help to Find Locations

BaseGiants

May 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150 + Cent-Tech Handheld
Hello All,

I am brand new here so excuse any mistakes I may make. I just got a detector for Christmas and was inquiring to the park authorities around Charlotte, NC. It appears that all county parks prohibit metal detecting.

So, what should I do? I dont know anyone around here since I am a UNCC student. I live in an apartment so I cant even hunt around my complex.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
David

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a different county, try the beach, look up some CW history of Georgia and head down there. Drive the outskirts of your area and look for old dwellings, ask permission and try there. Go to Uwharrie National Forest they allow gem and gold searching.

"Gold was discovered in Uwharrie in the early 1800s. The placer deposits may not have been as rich as out west, but during the Great Depression a number of camps were re-established by men hoping to scratch a living out of the earth. Today hobbyists are still allowed to pan for gold and rock collect, and no permits are required on Uwharrie National Forest. No mechanical aids ( I think they mean gold extractiong machines) other than hand tools are allowed though and, for obvious reasons, you cannot permanently scar the landscape. (check park regulations for usage of metal detectors)

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNCC 49rs, remember the statue of the guy panning gold on campus. Check local library's, gold was everywhere and gold rush towns also. I spent lots of time many years ago just above the old Shuffeltown dragstrip, a real hot bed of old gold rush camps & mines. There everywhere around Charlotte, after the first US Mint was in Charlotte, that's because the first gold was found here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread