Beach detecting

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the rules for beach hunting in NC? Are they similar to Florida?

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Beach hunting in NC is not exactly like FL.

OBX stay out of the national sea shore area, most other areas stay out of state and national parks although there are seasonal exceptions, don’t even take a detector into a historical site. Other than that the beaches are open for public use. Oh and no areas that I know of requires a permit.

What part of NC are you looking at?

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
Hi new to the site but have read it many a time . NC mding can be tring around the state / fed parks as said before keep a detector away. But according to what the state has told me around Fort Macon one may Hunt on the beach BUT!!! not during the summer and everything is to be turned over to the state during the rest of the year .

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
HI yes I wish I was wrg this came from the Director of Parks and Recreation of the State of NC /1:1 conversation /< 2 year ago/ confrimed by the park service on the beach I should have shut-up

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I checked out Fort Fisher, a state park with a beach, and they told me the same thing. The beach is open to detecting until June. I believe it opens back up in October? Don’t remember.
The site Muddy mentioned has an entire thread on it.

One warning the ranger gave me was to pay attention to the closing time of the parking lot. Once the gates are closed they are closed for the night, with your car in it, and there’s no camping in the park.

carolinachief

Oct 31, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with one of the Rangers at Fort Macon last summer and was told that you can't hunt during the "open" season but after beach season closes you are free to hunt. You just can't hunt on the Fort itself. He did not say anything about turning your finds in to the park service. I don't think the Rangers are going to chase you down and try to take all the stuff you find.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
One site that I have found that is really informative is:
http://www.municode.com/Resources/OnlineLibrary.asp

It gives you the good scoop on codes/ordinaces etc. In the search block of the site, input the state you want, click on the city or area that you want, and in the search block at the top, input "metal detector" or "detecting". Usually gives you some good info.
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread