Beach Huniting on the Outer Banks

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm reasonably new to MDing and I've had some luck on dry land but want to try beach hunting. I tried it when I was down in Mexico and found two gold rings and one silver in a short time frame now I'm hooked. From what I've read you can hunt the north beaches on the outer banks but the southern ones are off limits.

I will be in Corrola in August and wanted to know if there were any TNeters from the area that could direct me to some good places I could try out. Also what is the best time of year to hunt the Outer Banks since I have access all year round. May plan another trip if there is a better time. I'm not only interested in beaches so if you have a dry land recommendation in the area please let me know.

Now I just have to purchase a good surf detector before August....$$$.

Thanks in advance for your input.
NJ

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Right after Easter Weekend and Memorial Day weekend should do you proud too. Lots of folks from NJ, NY, and PA go there. Surprisingly enough, it is not that popular for NC residents unless they go to fish in the surf.

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
cryptodave is correct. Look for a cut or a low, narrow beach. Any beach will produce treasure if you know what to look for.
A cut (or a bowl) that just happens to form on a beach does not necessary need a wind or a storm to create. Sometimes nature just works that way. A cut may be a slight drop off or even a large drop off.
Be careful whild driving on the beach near the waters edge. There are drop off's that are bottomless.
These are 2 pics from the Corolla area.

Also, I will add a couple pics of a bowl and a smaller cut that all produced Treasure. remember, you do not necessary have to be in a populated beach to find treasure. I have found rings and treasure miles from the nearest cottage.
Remember, any beach can produce treasure....
All we have to do is find it.

Attachments

• 2004_1209AD.JPG
    2004_1209AD.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,367
  • ocean drop 2 (2).jpg
    ocean drop 2 (2).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,357
  • ocean drop 5 (2).jpg
    ocean drop 5 (2).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Nags Head.jpg
    Nags Head.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 2004_1209AA.JPG
    2004_1209AA.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,360
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone...I will have fun searching the surf. Now I just need to purchase the surf detector.

Treasure Detector - thanks for the pics.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I be down in the Outer Banks May 4th through the 7th for a Cinco De Mayo (sp?) party. I'm going to try to get out with the DFX - I'm still looking for a surf detector for the longer trip in August. Wish me luck...

NJ

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
exanimo redux- I sure wish we could still detect Shackleford. I made it there this past Monday and spent a few hours wandering around. I was wondering if you had been to where diamond city was? Are there any ruins or anything to see? The ferry I took put me on the opposite end of the island and it's a 9 mile hike to the other end.

When you camped out where abouts did you camp? And when you detected did you find anything?

Thanks alot for what ever info you can give.

Also looking to find other spots that still allow detecting along the coast. I am in New Bern and wandering down Beaufort way more and more.

Thanks!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well came back yesterday empty handed. The only day I could have gone detecting was Friday but since I got down there are 3am after working all day Thursday I decided to sleep in...figured I would have three more full days to detect. Went to the Cinco de Mayo party on Friday night. Woke up on Saturday to gale force winds that were up over 40 mph at points and the wind did not stop until Tuesday morning when I was packing up the truck. Figures.. I'm hoping for better weather in August when I go back.

One cool thing that did happen was a shipwreck was exposed. We have an old wreck right in front of the house that usually only has 6 inches showing but most of the time it is completely covered. During this storm so much sand was blown away that a good two feet was stinking out of the sand. The wood beams that were exposed were a good 16' feet long and there was some kind of metal wheel stuck to the beams in what looks to be tar. I would have taken pictures but I was afraid the sand storm would ruin the digital camera.

HH

NJ

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'm heading down to OBX the first week in October for a week w/ my girlfriend's family. I believe we'll be near Avon, NC. Anyone have any experience there? Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
great surf fishing! i wish you the best! ben

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Looks like I answered my own question...I was so amped about using my new DFX down there for a week and as I'm sure most of you already know almost all of OBX (including Avon, where I will be staying) is off limits as OBX is designated a nationa sea shore. I guess everything there will always be there...buried...for no one to enjoy. :(

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
Looks like I answered my own question...I was so amped about using my new DFX down there for a week and as I'm sure most of you already know almost all of OBX (including Avon, where I will be staying) is off limits as OBX is designated a nationa sea shore. I guess everything there will always be there...buried...for no one to enjoy. Sad

3 words come to mind - "cover of darkness" ;)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
joe_black said:
Looks like I answered my own question...I was so amped about using my new DFX down there for a week and as I'm sure most of you already know almost all of OBX (including Avon, where I will be staying) is off limits as OBX is designated a national sea shore. I guess everything there will always be there...buried...for no one to enjoy. Sad

3 words come to mind - "cover of darkness" ;)

Not for me...I have a hard enough time looking over my shoulder to make sure the bad guys don't sneak up on me. I don't want to have to look over the other shoulder for the good guys.

I know of people that have done this in and have done very well but it is not me. This past month alone I've seen a nice Morgan dollar that can out of a restricted area. I wavered for a second but in the long run it that kind of activity becomes common place then every area we can detect will get shut down. Just my 2 cents.

NJ

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
I just returned back from the Outer Banks. The little northeaster last week still left a lot of sand on the beach up in the Corolla area. I still managed to leave with several coins and one silver ring. The best area was in Nags Head (north of Jennetts Pier). South of the pier was nothing, but north there was enough sand removed to enjoy the hunt.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Treasure Detector said:
I just returned back from the Outer Banks. The little northeaster last week still left a lot of sand on the beach up in the Corolla area. I still managed to leave with several coins and one silver ring. The best area was in Nags Head (north of Jennetts Pier). South of the pier was nothing, but north there was enough sand removed to enjoy the hunt.

Funny, I was up there this week also. Found exactly the same thing as you, about 2 or so bucks in change and one silver ring.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found that the access beach behind the Lion King usually produces well as long as there is not too much sand on the beach. I'll be back down at the end of August. I can't wait.

Congrats on the silver rings.

NJ

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
cryptodave, DID YOU GET THE CHANCE TO CHECK OUT THE AREA ACROSS THE HWY FROM THE CURRITUCK COUNTY DSS BUILDING. THEY ARE CLEARING SOME LAND AND THE TIMBER IS IN PILES? I WANTED TO STOP, BUT HOME WAS CALLING......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread