Shackleford Banks off of Beaufort, NC

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi everyone. Last weekend I went to Shackleford Banks off of Beaufort, NC and wandered around. It's a 9mile Island so I didn't get very far. I am reading up on the history and am trying to find satellite images of the old town/village (Diamond City) that was there. There is no metal detecting but I am trying to decide if there are ruins or anything of interest. One ferry drops you off at the west end of the island, so it would be a 9mile hike (need to look into other boating options).

The history of the island is pretty cool and I would love to roam around if there is anything left to see, other than the horses.

I am also trying to find exact islands/beaches you can detect on around the Outer Banks area, from the Beaufort area on.

Thanks.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
I was born in beaufort, diamond city was located on the light house side of the inlet. shackleford banks is island across from beaufort. off the beach is where they found one of black beards ship the queen ann revenge there is some information about a Spanish ship that wash ashore on shackleford bank the Spanish raided beaufort. the also a story of a Spanish ship wreck on the cape look out side and some of the treasure was buried on the beach until they could be rescued. it is still buried . as far as the record . there was another Spanish ship that sank north of the lighthouse about 3 miles up core banks. I remember in the early fifty being over on core bank and seeing wreckage of life boats from the ship sank off shore during ww2

OP
OP
Diggins

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Seajay, Thanks for responding! It really doesn't matter which direction. I am pretty open when it comes to traveling for fun.

Transplant,
WOW, thanks for the info. I hadn't found that much yet, just the real basics. That makes me really want to explore that island now. Might have to make it an overnight trip, since you can camp on the island. I really appreciate your knowledge!! I am hoping to be able to make it out a couple or more weekends a month and also maybe a few days during the week.

Thanks again for the help!!!

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
there is a village up on the north end of core banks call portmouth, in the early 1800 it was one of the largest seaport in n.c. a fire destroy all the warehouses and docks people lived there until park service took over in the 60's a lot of the houses are still there. you will have to go to Atlantic n.c. to take the ferry to the island. there is a lot of history about the area and it makes for good reading.I will be in that area some this summer to do some MD. at some real good spots I know about, being from the area give me a leg up on others' keep in touch and I will give you the dates when I know them.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Portsmouth Island is off limits to md. As part of the Park Service no detectors are allowed. I visit PI a couple of times a year and I would love to swing the coil in the village. It is a perfect ghost town and friends and I have even seen the ghosts!
Mike

OP
OP
Diggins

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This is something I would definitely enjoy. I love looking around old ghost towns.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
brnn53 i know that the island is a no no for MD but there is a number of old 2 army camp sites on the main land and a number of old one room school sites. during the early 20's a number of the home site were relocated to the roads that were built. prior to that time travel to beaufort was by boat from all points east of north river.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes there are a number of great sites to hunt in that area. Much, much history there. I would sure like to hunt there if anyone can get a hunt together.
Mike

OP
OP
Diggins

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Mike and everyone, I too would like to get together for a hunt. There is one post on a possible get together by 1Privateer. I am in New Bern, and have NO problem driving anywhere for a meeting or a hunt. I am still very new to MD but I have the kid in the candy store approach. I don't care if I find anything or just sit and talk about hunting. It's just the thought of a possible find.

Let me know if anything is going on and I will make the trip for sure!!

tebb23

Greenie
May 31, 2014
Va Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics EuroTek Pro

Arrived and has been used. Found a 1910 penny and a bunch of junk in my first hour.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not aware that we were not allowed to detect on Shackleford Banks (I live in VA had not detected in NC), I see people detecting all around that area like Emerald Island Beach, Atlantic Beach and other areas close by. I am actually going to be on the island in a few weeks and have always loved to snorkel around there. I just recently purchased a Vibra Tector 740 and was really hoping to break it out while I was snorkeling there. I am guessing if you can't detect on the island any form of detecting around the island would also be prohibited. I will do some research to confirm this, if anyone reading this knows for sure, please let me know. Thank you so much in advance.

That didn't take me long, you can't metal detect anywhere on or near Shackleford Banks. :(

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread