Driving NC this weekend - troopers to ticket for ONE mile over the limit...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
They are just saying that to scare people. Don't be a chicken. Y'all feel free to drive as fast as you like through NC.

(Shhh...We need the additional revenue.)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
(Shhh...We need the additional revenue.)

Yep! Normally I peg my cruise control at 3 over. Most say they use 5 over, and I used to, but had a patrol car beside me one time waving for me to slow down. No ticket, but got "put on notice".

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Virginia is one of the worst states in the union for speeding tickets! Those cops hide along the side of the road... sneaky, sneaky. I don't blame you for only taking 3 MPH.

The police around here used to adhere to: "... nine you're fine, ten your mine...", however if you have a "yankee" license plate, all bets are off.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Virginia is one of the worst states in the union for speeding tickets!

For anyone's info and warning:

Route 58 from South Hill to Emporium is easy money for the cops. Drove back and forth regularly for a bit over a year - about 4 years ago. That's the road I got "put on notice" at. On one of my trips, one leg, I saw 12 separate vehicles with blue lights behind them. Got to be such a game, on a long boring drive, I started counting the stops.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps I'll jinx things by saying this but I've been lucky for that last few decades here.
no speeding tickets and even the last time I looked up and saw a state cop behind me and then at my speed, he didn't pull me over at 55 in a 40.
and last 2 times I did get pulled over, once it was a written warning for exceeding the limit.
no speed listed. and the other the state cop walked away shaking his head,
when Told him just because everyone else slows when they see him Doesn't mean I'm gonna !
I passed a long line of cars & he was in the front.
Everyone but I was afraid to hammer down.
But as I sayd it's been decades . these days I naturally obey the speed without thinking.
I have No sense of urgency anymore

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia a couple years ago with a lady friend in a very pleasant conversation and was pulled over by a Federal Officer (federal lands don't use state or local cops for patrol). I wasn't paying attention, and I was doing 59 in a 45. Got cussed long, serious, and brutally - and then he said he had to go and for me to SLOW MY A$$ DOWN! No ticket....

I didn't know then, but then found out that FEDERAL speeding tickets are way over $1000 (haven't verified that, just take it as a precaution).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia a couple years ago with a lady friend in a very pleasant conversation and was pulled over by a Federal Officer (federal lands don't use state or local cops for patrol). I wasn't paying attention, and I was doing 59 in a 45. Got cussed long, serious, and brutally - and then he said he had to go and for me to SLOW MY A$$ DOWN! No ticket....

I didn't know then, but then found out that FEDERAL speeding tickets are way over $1000 (haven't verified that, just take it as a precaution).

sounds odd one branch of Government can over charge. But like you I don't know.

Fines do get doubled in Construction areas here in PA.
Not sure in School Zones

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm teaching my 15 year old son to drive at the present - people need to slow down.
I tell him to drive the speed limit and he gets pushed by other drivers all the time, riding our butt and making him nervous.
I drive a bit over, but if someone else is doing the speed limit, I don't push them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can ticket for one mile over but 99.9% of judges will throw it out of court.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can ticket for one mile over but 99.9% of judges will throw it out of court.....

yes not only accuracy would come into play by any lawyer worth his title.

But possible Harassment could also be brought up

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but people have been arrested for going 50 in a 55
if traveling to fast for present conditions.

and for doing 25 on a 65mPH interstate

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got pulled over for doing 1 mph over on interstate near high point about20 yrs ago, I was let go- guessed he wanted to check out my car, had ny tags..I see they have the same agenda today

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in Herndon VA for 3 years commuting from Raleigh. got pulled 5 times with 2 tickets. Those cops don't play, but I just like to drive faster than most people

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread