Montgomery & Stanley County, NC

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
Montgomery & Stanley County, NC

I'm going to be up in Uwharrie during the week for the next few weeks during hunting season. Cotton Patch Is closed on Monday and Tue does anyone know of any other public gold mines in the area ? Creeks are still to dry to try and work the area I am interested in.
thanks
Charles

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Re: Montgomery & Stanley County, NC

Also, Reed Gold Mine is in the area, but I've never been there.

OP
OP
Charles Oak Island NC

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

nc-joe said:
Also, Reed Gold Mine is in the area, but I've never been there.

yea, I have been by there.they are closed on SUnday and Monday. Got an email earlier today that Cotton Patch will be under new ownership as of Oct. 1. Wish I had know Cotton Patch was up for sale a while back. That would be the job to have :o

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used

All his gold is drying up. I've been there a couple times this year and only found a few flakes per bucket. No like it used to be, Pickers in ever bucket.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used

Also, PM me if you want to go detecting, I'll see if I can set something up around here.

OP
OP
Charles Oak Island NC

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

nc-joe said:
All his gold is drying up. I've been there a couple times this year and only found a few flakes per bucket. No like it used to be, Pickers in ever bucket.

We didn't get a lot Friday before last when we went. But I did see some others that were doing good. Sounds like it might be time to check out Mt Creek.

OP
OP
Charles Oak Island NC

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

At last got an answer at Mt. Creek Gold Mine. The Lady said they are open 7 days a week, 8AM till dark. Panning is $10.00 per day, didn't get the other prices.
Phone number is 704-463-7749

warboy

Jan 3, 2008

charles, there is gold in all the creeks in western nc, It just depends on getting permission and doing a lot of leg work. There are lots of public land you can pan gold out of but I think there is a size restriction on derdges 2" I think. Just keep the faith and look, look, look!! Oh by the way I use to live on Oak Island, I was a fisherman, We ran boats out of the small boats marina and large boat marina in Southport. I use to live on east beach drive (3211 E Beach Dr.) I still come down to see all my friends, one place you ought to check out is the dunes at fort caswell, lots of legends of buried pirate treasure (anne Blythe) and civil war activity. I know the Baptist assembly won't let you hunt the premsis but the dunes are open. It might not be gold but then again........... ;D

OP
OP
Charles Oak Island NC

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

warboy said:
charles, there is gold in all the creeks in western nc, It just depends on getting permission and doing a lot of leg work. There are lots of public land you can pan gold out of but I think there is a size restriction on derdges 2" I think. Just keep the faith and look, look, look!! Oh by the way I use to live on Oak Island, I was a fisherman, We ran boats out of the small boats marina and large boat marina in Southport. I use to live on east beach drive (3211 E Beach Dr.) I still come down to see all my friends, one place you ought to check out is the dunes at fort caswell, lots of legends of buried pirate treasure (anne Blythe) and civil war activity. I know the Baptist assembly won't let you hunt the premsis but the dunes are open. It might not be gold but then again........... ;D

Yes thanks, I am aware of all the history of the area. I have lived here about 18 years and am one of those who does exstsive research with a large library on the area. I've been doing research on North Carolina's treasures for about 30 years both on land and under the water.

Carolina Gold

Jul 31, 2007
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger

heres something I thought was cool, If you go to the USGS site and search the registered mines in NC and specify gold and view all in google earth, it shows all the mines in the state by coordinates. It follows the veining almost exactly to the USGS trace map. added photo of it. hope it works. I'm in Alamance co. and plan to hit the gold hill area as it is the center of the main vein as far as I can tell, only 40 miles for me.

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,318

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread