Minelab Musketeer Pro 8"
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

NashCarter

Jan 14, 2021
Randolph County, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to "treasure hunting". I am in the process of buying a Minelab CTX 3030 detector and looking to get started hunting. I have no experience but am ready and willing to get involved and help!!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NashCarter,

CurrituckPirate, sorry about jumping in our your post.

Welcome to TNet from Ohio. You might want to consider starting with a different detector as the CTX 3030 is a complicated top end detector. I say this with experience because I did the same, it was a long and painful at times journey before I became what I consider proficient with the CTX. I would look at buying an Minelab Equinox 800 instead. It is a great mid-level detector that will detect pretty much everything the CTX will detect. It is a lot easier to learn and you will save yourself a chunk of money. I would also recommend joining a club where you will likely find a member who can help you learn whatever machine you end up buying. If you buy the CTX then you also might want to look at taking a CTX class with Andy Sabisch, he runs a 1-day course that will teach you the machine- you can find him via Goggle. Andy also has a great book on the CTX and Equinox which are invaluable. Additionally, one of the members here, Clive James Clynick, also has a series of books on both machines which are excellent as well. You can find both authors on Amazon. As a note, I use the Equinox for most of my detecting and only use the CTX for certain situations. Just a thought. Again, welcome to TNet and good luck with your hunts. Walt

Last edited:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CurrituckPirate,

Welcome to TNet from Ohio. I am sure with your experience and the fact that you have researched permissions that you won’t have any problem finding a new detecting partner. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
going to try this again.... I live in Currituck County, have 24 years experience in metal detecting, my old "hunting" buddy took off to Texas a few years back. I have several areas to hunt and research material.... looking to swap hunts and sanity check my ideas:laughing7:

Sent you a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread