NEW BERN HUNTER

wobax

Dec 13, 2007
New Bern, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I live in New Bern. retired Marine. I have been hunting by myself since I started a few years ago. I was looking for other hunters around the New Bern area. Are there any good spots left in this area? Does everyone have as tough of a time getting permission as I seem to have? It seems like I say "metal detecting" and land owners turn hostile. Is there a secret to getting permission? I don't know a lot of people in the area so I have been going up knocking on doors.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at the FD at Seymour Johnson AFB. We go to Onslow Beach at Lejeune every now and then and stay in the lodges, great place. I have done some detecting at that beach too. I have also been to New Bern detecting a couple times. My feeling is that since the area is so old and rich in history, that landowners are tired of metal detectors, kind of protective of stuff there. When I detected there, I discovered a lot that had been cleared off of Pollock St downtown. They had scraped about 1 1/2 feet out for a parking lot. I found an old hammered coin, 1802 Large Cent (my first ever at that time), a Hackensack, NJ WW-1 commemorative fob of some sort, some CW bullets and a five-cent piece, I think 1839. Just watch for the construction sites. Anywhere in that area could produce as so much stuff happened there over the years. Some trivia--did you know that Carlos Hathcock, the marine sniper, lived in New Bern at one time?? Congrats on retirement! Take care, Bryan

red949597

Nov 21, 2007
CHINQUAPIN NC
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 505, whites prizm lll
same here,its hard to get permission to hunt the more than obvious places,my advice hunt around for old school sites or fields in the country area. you would not believe what you will find at old home sites. also public parks that are not posted work good for clad money (battery money) im new to this site also but have been detecting for a few years. merry christmas all

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That whole area is loaded with history! Black Beard was all over the place around the sound and lived in Bath for a while. We used to drive down and stay at the marina there for the week end .Neat place.

warboy

Jan 3, 2008
For years my dad was involved in a hunting club called "Crow Hill Farms" This place was the higest eleavation in the county and was used for mustering in the local militia. They even have a field called "the muster field". This place was used all the way thru the CW as a center for gathering the local troops. This place is near a place called Harker's Island, this place is seeped in history . Legend has it all the original faimlies are direct decendants of Edward Teach (Blackbeard) there are legends of buried pirate treasure and much colional and civil war activity. Many relics can be found in this area from many era's,Not to mention that New Bern itself had many, many different activities going on thru out history, rev. war and the civil war played a large part in the development of the whole area you live in. Try going to the local county historian to find locations to search. when you do, be sure to show an intrest in all the info. he or she may have, even if you are only interested in one fact or location you know what I mean? You might not want mention you are a digger, Just be interested in the history, you may get more info. that way. Keep digging, and never say never!

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi. I am pretty new to metal detecting and have only been in New Bern for about 1.5yrs. Just moved from Phoenix, AZ. As for places to hunt I have only been to a few. Went to Cherry Point a few times before they tore down the old housing, found some silver, etc. there. Went somewhere in the woods and detected some civil war trenches, I didn't find anything but the guys I was with found some bullets, buckles, etc. Have went to Atlantic Beach a few times.

I use a Ace250 and always interested in going detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions