Off to the Outer Banks

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I'm heading to the Kitty Hawk area tomorrow. Will be there from May 3 - 10. Might see you along the beach.
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm back and other then some clad I only found two silver pieces of jewelery. An earing and a toe ring. I'm finding it hard to adjust to the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II that I acquired during the off season. I'm so use to my Whites DFX it is really hard to switch over to the Garrett. I made myself focus with the Garrett for a few hours but I was starting to get a little frustrated. I also had my heart set on a Minelab Excalibur so I think I'm a little harder on the Garrett then it really deserves. I'm going to give it a few more shots on the Jersey shore then if I still don't like it is off to Ebay to start the Minelab fund.

When I get some extra time I will try to post some recent finds in the Today's Finds section.

NJ

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Just got back Sat evening. I hit pretty much most of the beaches from Kitty Hawk down to Nags Head. And....grand total..............a whopping......86 cents....LOL Pityful.....

I was using my Excal 1000 most of the time.....but I did use my DFX every so often. First time I had been to the Outer Banks. OMG! The rip currents almost snatched away my MD....not good.

Never did get up to Corolla, and while doing the beaches, I didn't see ANYBODY Mdng....out there.

---Mel

borninok

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mel
I feel your pain. There was a lot of sand on the beach. I found only a few spots that were worth hunting at low tide but most of the time I looked at the sand and decided it was not worth the effort. Although it is hard to beat walking along the Outer Banks so even when your not finding anything it is fun. In addition to the few metal finds I did have I was able to find a few cool shells and a sand dollar for the wife so she was happy.

John (NJ)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dragon6banger said:
what is the off season for detecting the outer banks or can you just go any time thanks and HH

Dragon,
I don't live in NC, I just go down to the outer bank 2 or 3 times a year usually May, August and December. I live in NJ and when there is snow on the ground that is my off season. Time to do research and work on or replace equipment.
NJ

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
thanks borninok and nj i thought i might ride down there this weekend but thats not gonna happen gas just went up again HH all

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dragon6banger said:
thanks borninok and nj i thought i might ride down there this weekend but thats not gonna happen gas just went up again HH all

Dragon,
The gas prices are a killer. I need to fill up my truck twice on the way down and twice on the way back which costs me a total of $240 bucks. It is crazy. I remember driving my car in the 90s it would have only taken one tank of gas each way at a cost of maybe $50.00 for both tanks.

You maybe better off just searching your local water with gas prices this high. I drive down to spend time with family if it was just to detect I would not be going that far.

NJ

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Now...if we could just find all of those $4,000 rings that are out there.....to heck with gas prices....lol

Although....................while I was down there, I did have to keep my sunglasses on........hmmmm....so many good sights to see while detecting....LOL
Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread