Fort Neoheroka

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Late on Sunday night I saw the flashing numbers on the answering machine. It was N.Y. Rob. I had semi-forgotten that we were kicking around the idea of doing something on Monday since we were both off. I wasn’t initially too enthusiastic about the idea since I was coming off a 5 day straight wood working binge building kitchen cabinets at the wood hobby shop on Camp Lejeune. But I figured I’d give him a call and see if he could talk me into something. “Yo, bout time youse called! We doin sumptin tomorrow or waaht.” The man from N.Y. mumbled on the phone.

We decided to head up thru the backwoods of Eastern N.C. and check out a fella’s antique store who I knew is/was a big Indian relic hunter. As we traveled thru the backroads I had N.Y. Rob pull over to check out a historical marker I always thought to be quite relevant for Indian enthusiasts.

“On the morning of March 20th, every man was at his post when a trumpet sounded the signal for the attack. Three days later Fort Neoheroka lay a smoldering ruin and the enemy acknowledged defeat. The Indian loss was 950, about half killed and the balance taken into slavery. Moore's loss was fifty-seven killed and eighty-two wounded. With this one crushing blow, the power of the Tuscarora nation was broken”

Right down the road we pulled over into the driveway of a old dilapidated country home I have been keeping tabs on as a possible buy as its location is choice. Soon, after we were done poking around the property the farmer who rents the land pulled up and started to chit-chat. After talking about the house for a bit the topic turned to the battlesite. “Right over there cross the road whar that pole is, is whar ECU come out and did a dig. They covered all the post holes of the fort up, and I’ve been planting over everything ever since.” The farmer related. I wish you could have seen N.Y.Rob’s eyes pop open, “Sir, can we do some arrowhead hunt’n if we promise not to trample the crops?” With a little hesitancy the farmer in the pickup truck relented and said “Go ahead” and off we went!

Well, for me a new hobby was tested, and the taste was excellent. I don't think that I'll ever have enought time to pursue it to the fullest, but it was pretty close to relic or fossil hunting and something to plan for when the crops come in.
C'ya - Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• as found.JPG
    as found.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 517
  • bob field.JPG
    bob field.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 569
  • indian heads.JPG
    indian heads.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 529
  • rob web.JPG
    rob web.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 470
  • rob web.JPG
    rob web.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 420
  • indian heads.JPG
    indian heads.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 446
  • bob field.JPG
    bob field.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 439
  • as found.JPG
    as found.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 465

1badtacoma

Aug 21, 2005
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 250
I know exactly where you are talking about but have never hunted those feild, there are points all up and down that road. I always think about stopping on my way down to the beach but its hard when you dont know any of the land owners. I love arrowhead hunting, I have a few hotspots near my house but you can only go whe they plant the right crops like Tobacco or corn or sweet potatoes, where they have to plow the land. I just posted my finds a couple days ago in the American Indians Artifacts forum if you want to look at some example of what I find around that area.

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Hey friend,
We were heading to Stantonburg that day we got lucky at the fort; we were heading to S'burg to talk to the fella at the antique store in town. Is that you? N.Y. Rob is big into Indian history and I was bring him by to talk points when we stopped and got lucky in meeting the farmer. Here's a pic of a flesher I found that day that I didn't post before. We'll have to hook up in the future if your game for Fossils, points, or relics.

Semper fi,
Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 348

1badtacoma

Aug 21, 2005
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 250
No I dont know any antique store owners in Stantonsburg. I don't really live in statonsburg that's just what my address is. I am actually on the other side of Saratoga if you know where that is, but for some odd reason my address is in Stantonsburg. I'm ready to go, I love Fossils, points, and relic hunting. Not many feilds around now all have crops planted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread