Ghost Towns North Dakota

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Hey der :) unfortunately alot of these ghost towns are now private property and some land owners dont like people meddling because they are afraid that people will vandelize these beautiful towns. I was at an old school house yesterday and with in 5 min. of being there the land owner came over just to see what i was doing. i hadnt grabbed my machine yet cause i got side tracked by an old brick that i was trying to find a marking on. I got a feeling that had i had my machine out already when he got there that he would asked me to leave. when he drove up i ask him if he minded me being there he said not so much but i just told him i was out exploring.

well for what i did see. i saw some papers about that years election on the floor that were signed in 1934. the door was locked so i didnt get to get a close look. also there were some old desks inside that had the writing surface for the person that sits behind you on the back of the chairs. they were purty. one day i may go out there and pull out the machine and try my luck. all he can do is ask me to leave. its not posted or anything so im ok at least trying it out.

there are some towns you can go to that the owners dont mind, well i hope they dont mind neway cause ive hunted them. If anyone ever does go out to these old town remember that safety is paramount!!! there are wild animals, meth heads, holes, rotted floors, and a ton of other dangers u should be on the look out for. With grass being tall and in the winter with snow on the ground old wells will be one things you should look out for the most. alot of times all there was covering them was piece of plywood that has rotted over the years.

Be safe and good luck to anyone that checks these places out.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnyreb ,If the snow ever melts we will hit some up! Looking foward to a nice full day of hunting!!

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
im right there with ya bro. maybe we should get out and do a sun dance to rid us of this crappy cold. Heck, its only -13 out there right now.

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
ND is one of my favorite places to go, for many activities. I like car shows, tractor shows, flea markerts, auctions, yard/garage sales, and now detecting.

My family is all from ND on my dads side. My dad was born in a town nearly a ghost town today. My grandparents family all imigrated from Strassburg area to that area of ND, Which is south east of Minot, and south of Rugby and Towner area. No more specific than that I am going to say. Relatives of my grandmother also from that area. Several ghost and near ghost towns in my families history in that area. Several years ago, visited a near ghost town cemetary, and found it full of headstones bearing family name. That town bears part of our family name as the towns name. My son was with me........WHOA, what a sobering experience for both of us. Hope this summer to visit some of these. My grandmothers fathers orginal homestead is now a field along hwy #2 west near Towner. What are the chances, of any finds?? I found the "Ghost towns of ND" site very interesting. Been to a couple of those, and a few more not yet on the site. In a few years the only thing to remain of most of these towns, will be memories. How sad :'( I love old buildings, and towns. And the history as well.

To change the subject, has anyone ever seen or read the book, "Ghost towns of the west"......? When it came out in print in the early 1970's I missed it. My wife recently bought me a copy at a yard sale. 900 pages of information. I have dozens of books on local and national history. I love history. Great reference's for detecting. Thanks for reading my museings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions