How to solve the Oak Island Treasure Mystery

abearzzz

Dec 4, 2005
Beverley Ware
Chronicle Herald
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:24 UTC

Just hand over $15m - first payment, $500,000.

Western Shore - For only $15 million, you could uncover the mystery of Oak Island.
The good news is you'd only have to spend about half a million to begin with because that's about what it would cost to find out if the project's worth pursuing.

Three civil engineering students from McGill University in Montreal were given the assignment to find a way to safely recover any treasure that could be buried at the bottom of the money pit on Oak Island.

Their project received honourable mention from the dean of civil engineering.

The students' professor is Les MacPhie, senior geotechnical engineer at SNC-Lavalin.

He presented a proposal five years ago to drill a series of holes in a nine-metre-diameter ring, freeze the earth by pumping chilled brine into the holes, and then excavate the soil.

The three recent graduates presented their project during Explore Oak Island Days at Oak Island Resort and Spa Saturday.

They looked at several ideas, including Mr. MacPhie's cryogenic freezing proposal, but came up with something different.

"The main excavation challenge, the reason why the mystery has lasted for hundreds of years, the reason countless investigation efforts have tried and failed, is for the one simple reason that there's a natural flood tunnel system at 150 to 200 feet," said student Nathan Ramsey.

The flooding gets worse with every attempt to drain it.

The students propose creating something called a secant pile wall.

Robert Wolofsky said they propose drilling a series of overlapping holes up to 88.5-metres deep, creating a ring 21 metres in diameter.

The holes would be lined with reinforced steel casings, filled with cement, then the casings removed. The wall would create a permanent watertight barrier and allow treasure hunters to safely excavate the soil and rock.

The work would only be worth doing if a series of test holes show anything promising, and Mr. Ramsey estimates that would cost about $500,000.

There would be 37 primary holes 1.2 metres in diameter, then 37 secondary interlocking holes 1.5 metres in diameter.

Mr. Ramsey said it would cost about $15 million to do this, "but really, when it comes down to it, what you find down there's priceless, right?"

"No one exactly knows who put something there, or what they put there and why," said Christopher Ong Tone.But he said it's clear someone did extensive work deep underground a long time ago, as evidenced by oak platforms found at regular intervals, charcoal, coconut fibres, an inscribed stone (which is believed to be a hoax) and man-made flood tunnels.

Danny Hennigar of the Oak Island Tourism Society said the four Americans who now own the money pit area, along with Nova Scotian Dan Blankenship, have seen the proposal.

Their lawyer said in an interview three years ago when they bought the land that they would like to solve the mystery of what may lie beneath the ground.

They renewed the registration for their land development and investment company in Nova Scotia just two weeks ago.

"Speaking on behalf of the Oak Island Tourism Society, sure we'd like to see somebody solve the mystery of Oak Island," Mr. Hennigar said.

"It's not going to hurt any opportunity that we may see for tourism, in fact, we think it would enhance it."Personally I'm not convinced that there's a treasure buried under Oak Island. I am convinced somebody did a lot of work under Oak Island. The natural conclusion would be that it's to bury something of value."

More than 300 people will have visited Oak Island as part of the annual three-day celebration, which continues today (Sunday, June 21) at the resort.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I'd rather drill into the 'tunnels', then slip a small ROV down the pipes to go exploring to see if there is anything at all there. Now then, who has a beer can-sized ROV that can survive a 300 ft. dive...? :D

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm with Zephyr. I got lots of beer cans I can contribute, unfortunately none of them are ROV worthy :icon_scratch:

I'm glad to see this mystery has not finished yet. I hope the people that own the island continue the search somehow. My wife spent some time growing up in Nova Scotia and has been to Oak Island. Said it was beautiful and the long time ongoing mystery and everything that conjures up is almost palpable while there.

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
I see that I'm not the only one to propose a cryogenic solution to the problem. Many years ago, after reading about the methods used to keep the permafrost from melting when the Alaska pipeline was built, it seemed to me that something similar might be applied to the problem here. I also read of someone accidentally hooking up a heat pump air-conditioning system wrong and heat was pumped out of a coil of pipe put down a drill hole into the ground. Over a period of several days the ground around the pipe froze in an expanding circle.

A fairly low cost, low energy system could be set up to freeze the ground around the money pit by a series of encircling dill holes down to bedrock level. During winter months the system could be set up to automatically draw heat from the ground and radiate it into the freezing air like at the Alaska Pipeline. During the summer, a small heat pump A/C unit could continue the process. It might take several weeks to months to completely freeze the water in the earth and cavities surrounding the pit, but considering how long it's been that people have been working on the pit, that's not long. A structure might be needed to cover the surface around the pit during the summer to reduce surface melting. The primary problem would be that the water is apparently sea water and so freezing temperature would be lower than normal, but not out of the question.

Of course, once the source of water to the pit has been blocked by ice, then excavation could be completed. This seems to be a relatively low cost solution compared to the huge amounts of money spent so far.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
One has to wonder if the Jesuits built this layout to distract various nations from exploring further into their territories; a few boatloads of Native slaves and all the time in the world.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Zephyr said:
I'd rather drill into the 'tunnels', then slip a small ROV down the pipes to go exploring to see if there is anything at all there. Now then, who has a beer can-sized ROV that can survive a 300 ft. dive...? :D

That's what they did on the Titanic! lol

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
They have the small rovers that go down the air shafts of the Great Pyramids, why can't they make something along those lines that would go into the booby trap tunnels to see if there's anything worthwhile at Oak Island??

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember reading about this money pit when I was just a teenager (55 years ago) and still don't know why any one interested in finding what's at the bottom of that hole doesn't pump dyed water into the hole and see where it comes out. The explorers of Grand Canyon Caverns on the south rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona put dye in the water of that cave and watched to see where it came out in the great canyon to the north. Plumbers in rural parts of this country flush dye in toilet water to see where it leaks on its journey to the waste management place. Once you know where the sea water is coming from, that so far has foiled the excavation attempts, it would narrow down the area to be worked on to affect a blockage of those channels. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Just my thoughts on how to...
Ken 'dustcap' Chichester

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
They did the dye thing rough guess 15+ years ago, what they need is some of that gel stuff the Japanese used to plug the reactor leaks....

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Allenroyboy thy used that technique on the big dig in Boston Ma
The old train tracks were on soft fill , so thy froze the ground and tunneled under it.
I say its been long enough , save some money and get a big clam bucket crane in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread