Was this coin brought to Oak Island by the Templars?

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear vastik;
The coin is definitely not Roman Catholic in origin, therefore that leaves out the Knights Templars as a possible source, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Lamar wrote
The coin is definitely not Roman Catholic in origin,

May I ask on what basis you make this statement? After all, the I H S is VERY reminiscent of Jesuit symbolism. Thank you in advance, :icon_thumright:
Oroblanco

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The diework of this piece strongly indicates it to be a 19th or perhaps early 20th century medal, struck in one of the "white metal" alloys widely used in that era.

The IHS with cross is unquestionably the Christogram or monogram (sometimes rendered as JHS ) widely used by Christians, and especially Roman Catholics, for centuries:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07649a.htm
IHS,jpg.jpg

The all-seeing eye is symbolic of God as well, although its usage is more common among fraternal than religious orders.

That it was issued as a religious commemorative medal is indicated by the legend Zum Andenken an die heilige Mission, German for, "To the Memory of the Holy Mission." While this suggests that it was struck in, or for distribution in, Germany, it might also have come from one of the other German-speaking nations: Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, or Liechtenstein.

Interestingly, the same text appears as the title of a mid 19th century lithograph of a Jesuit mission in Karlsruhe, Germany.

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
The lettering is standard English, late 18th to 20th century. I"m guessing a commerative or annversay token. May have been produced at a wine making monestary in Europe, by converting a label press to imprint a thin medal like lets say strips of tin? Not being a precious medal value would be in the curiosty range. Interesting artifact never-the-less.. my 3.5cents worth of free imformation

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
vastik said:
Was this coin part of the Oak Island treasure?
If you have any information regarding this rare artifact, please contact me.

View the coin at
www.mysterycoin.com

I suspect a religous momento- Germany- late 19th century.
The phrase "Zum Andenken an die Heilige Mission" translates to "In Memory of the Holy Mission"

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This coin looks to have been struck with the aid of a modern collar, thus ruling out anything pre-1800. The die detail looks (as previously stated) to date the coin to the late 1800's.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt it's a coin. Made of tin and with no denomination and only struck on one side. Reminiscent of the early 1900's magician's tokens used in palming displays and then handed out as favors after performances. One face nicely molded/struk and the other blank except for some juvinile scratching? Possibly also an escutcheon stuck on the back of a tourist item.

The Templar's wouldn't hoard tin coins. :D It is certainly not from Oak Island, doubtful it arrived in North America before 1890 or so, and there is no connection with the Templars other than wild speculation.

http://www.free-press-release.com/n...ucian-symbols-puzzles-experts-1255387651.html

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question has been asked before in another post,

while these may not be common on your side of the pond they are on mine, it looks like a medalion used to adorn the neck of a bottle, these are produced by many of the old monasteries in a great many places in Europe, there are a lot of them around all over the continent mostly produced in small quantities and sold either at the monastery to raise revenue or sold through wine merchants, and a great many have medalion's like this glued in a moulded recess just below the neck of the bottle,

it is very smilier to the one used by Dom Benedictine, which is produced in France in the Monastery there and sold mostly in England (goes back to the 1st WW when the east lancashire regiment was stationed there and developed a liking for it)
drunk as a chaser after a pint and by older women mixed with hot water, the Dom bottles use a red one very similar to this, except last year when the changed to silver to celebrate the 500th year of the monasteries existence,

Furness

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
Looks more Masonic to me!!! the Eye of Ra (the Egyption all seeing eye) is the symbol and is on the back of the one dollar bill which was designed by the Masons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread