History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've enjoyed the show, even if it had more cliff-hangers and less actual facts/information than a morning soap opera (Not that I watch soap operas).

I assume they either find something that makes them pack up and go home, or History Channel, depending on the reception of these shows picks it up for more. Its not like the other, Pawn, Logging, Southern Folks running from the law type "Reality" shows. This show has a definite goal and possibly an ending.

Anyway, its about the journey really more than the goal. I've been enjoying the journey. : )

11rowsof3

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it amusing that they got all excited over a few non-ferrous signals. (i noticed that they didn't show the I.D. number off the CTX's screen though). They didn't even mention the SIZE of the signal, let alone the depth indicated. If that's all it takes to get them excited, they would absolutely wet their pants if they hunted in my area! Non-ferrous crap is everywhere..... The last episode of the year? After only 5 episodes? Already ran out of money? Waiting for Spring? What??

Well, that part is just flatout how TV works now. You can look at even the top TV shows on network, Blacklist is a good example, it ran for 5 episodes and 10 were shot. Pretty immediately the 10 episode arc became "Season 1" and now they have come back with "Season 2" a couple of months later when the show was picked up. This only means that History ordered 5 episodes and I would guess only 5 have been shot, now we'll wait and see how ratings were.

On the 19th, it got a .7. Not fantastic, but nothing on Sunday at 10:00 really moves the needle. It was tied for 2nd place in its time slot, The Big Bang Theory (syndicated re-run) got a 1.1, while two other shows (Real Housewives of Atlanta and Law & Order SVU) also got .7's. Oak Island beat things like Rich Kids of Beverly Hills (heavily advertised), Duck Dynasty Re-run, Dude You're Screwed, AMC Movie, etc. I'd say they are "on the border". The didn't move the needle at all, any re-run seems to get a .5, so is a .2 increase worth the cost of a new original show? But... it out-performed a couple of shows that cost more and were advertised more, so... who knows.

Sunday Cable Ratings: ?Real Housewives of Atlanta? Wins Night, ?Keeping Up With the Kardashians?, ?Shameless?, ?True Detective?, ?Girls? & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought episode 4 of the Curse of Oak Island was exciting and I'm anxiously awaiting next week's final episode.

I knew from the beginning that these five episodes wouldn't result in any "treasure" being found or the mystery of Oak Island being resolved. What I've hoped for is that the two brothers, Rick and Marty Lagina, would find some new piece of evidence in the 200 year-old mystery of Oak Island. Something that might prove or disprove theories or speculation about Oak Island. What was portrayed in the 4th episode and the brief preview of the 5th and final episode, indicates that they did find something. According to that brief preview, they found a rock or tablet and there was mention that carbon dating dates it as pre-1795.

We know that the search by Rick and Marty Lagina, documented by the History Channel in the Curse of Oak Island, was filmed in the late spring and summer of 2013. Logic and common sense tells me that after mid to late September, weather is going to hamper searching. Certainly right now, with the extreme weather of sub-zero temperatures and snow storms the northeast is experiencing would prevent searching.

What I expect is that next week's episode will conclude this season's search and the History Channel will announce that it will continue to document Rick and Mary Lagina's search of the Oak Island treasure. Once the weather permits, the two brothers will resume their search. We may see a summer 2014 follow-up documentary or a fall season series documenting their continued search.

While we don't know much about what the two brothers found, it appears it's a rock and we can speculate that rock may have some sort of symbols on it that indicate that if there's something to be found on Oak Island, where it's to be found. If there is some sort of symbols on it, perhaps they've used the fall and winter months to have experts try to decipher it?

I'm anxiously awaiting next week's episode.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not when it's a religion.....just more questions....

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expected to watch this week's episode of the Curse of Oak Island, only to find it's not on this week. I went to the History Channel website that the next episode titled, "The Find" is scheduled for next Sunday, February 9th. So if anyone else was anticipating watching it tonight, know that it will be on next week instead of tonight.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I expected to watch this week's episode of the Curse of Oak Island, only to find it's not on this week. I went to the History Channel website that the next episode titled, "The Find" is scheduled for next Sunday, February 9th. So if anyone else was anticipating watching it tonight, know that it will be on next week instead of tonight.

Yeah, just discovered this...kind of sucks...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Figured they didn't want to compete with the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always thought rocks can't be carbon dated

11rowsof3

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, just discovered this...kind of sucks...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

That's exactly it, it's rare any new programming is on opposite the largest event in the US. Builds anticipation for next week! :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed last night it wasn't on :(
almost took it out my DVR's record list permanently.

I hate show that pull this BS

If I wanted to watch what's on another channel, I'd DVR both.
I don't feel I need them to tell me I have to watch something else.

anyway if they pull this taking breaks mid season too often,
iit willl go the way of prospectors and a few other shows,
that think their viewers should wait for them to decide when to let us see another show. in the dumper :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank God that was the shorter version, really quite comical. To think that a 140' long vessel could stand on it's nose, and disappear into a sink hole takes a very active imagination.

The platforms at 10' were actually bulkheads,....... but the sides of the ship totally disappeared?

Finally the stone "drains" were actually buried rope rigging and a mast ??

This guy has a great future in a 7-11, or as a stand up comic.:dontknow:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Painful to watch and ridiculous if you think about it at all.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckily the show on history channel is a lot more fun to watch!

We'll see if "The Find" actually answers any questions or just creates more.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed last night it wasn't on :(
almost took it out my DVR's record list permanently.

I hate show that pull this BS

If I wanted to watch what's on another channel, I'd DVR both.
I don't feel I need them to tell me I have to watch something else.

anyway if they pull this taking breaks mid season too often,
iit willl go the way of prospectors and a few other shows,
that think their viewers should wait for them to decide when to let us see another show. in the dumper :icon_scratch:

It builds anticipation walking dead does the same thing they go off mid season in Oct and come back Jan I think? Look at their viewers lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to like Walking dead till they did that.
it's Not worth my Trouble any more.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I watched "The Curse" last night; at the point of "draining the swamp", turned TV off and went to bed...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread