mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
This should be an interesting show. I hope they delve into all the possibilities & not get stuck on just the most popular theories. I love the History channel. Thanks for sharing

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Press release:
The Curse of Oak Island, a new documentary series on History (USA), will follow the current efforts of two brothers, Rick and Marty Lagina, and their partners to find the legendary treasure rumored to have been buried on the tiny Canadian island hundreds of years ago by unknown people. The series will also incorporate historical footage of past searchers as well as dramatic re-creations of infamous events to chronicle the evidence, the mystery and all the lore that have kept people hunting for treasure on Oak Island since 1795.

Air dates for the show on History (5 Episodes Now):

Ep 1 - 1/5/14
Ep 2 - 1/12/14
Ep 3 - 1/19/14
Ep 4 - 1/26/14
Ep 5 - 2/2/14

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe there is anything special about Oak Island other then
the amounts of Money wasted there digging & Re-digging the same holes
over & over.
But Thanks ! If i remember it when the Time comes to set my DVR,
I'll give it a look

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I will be watching, I still believe that there IS something of value there, why else would there be all those channels, they serve no other purpose. Also, it is one of the Treasure Legend places that I have actually been to, and walked with my own two feet. :-)

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that believe there is still a Templar Treasure in the Money Pit, you must also believe in the Easter Bunny. Yes there was a man made pit 90' deep and yes there was wood supports every 10' and yes they found charco and coconut fibers . The Templar Treasure was their once but its gone. Nothing has been found in the last 500 years except artifacts placed their by diggers to raise money. The owners spent $15 million to buy Oak Island and they will be the last ones to admit nothing is there until they make their money back. Could the Treasure be in New Ross, NS or in a sunken shipwreck in the Delaware River is the real question. We are working at both sites and we will post what we find by June.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the other hand, I believe the wood supports every 10'
and charco and coconut fibers, were from past Treasure Hunters,
along with everything else found.
the so called tunnels feeding water into the pit are as natural
as the underground rivers & feeders throughout the world.
and at some point Treasure Hunters dug into one.

My reasoning , even a Pirate or "Templer :tongue3: " would have wanted to retrieve anything they buried,
with the least amount of prying eyes. some will argue the pirate could shoot the
slaves/cohorts after the retrieval but remember. black powder Guns needed to be reloaded after each shot.
If you had 10 diggers to silence, how many would you be able to off before
someone says "there is more of us then him" :laughing7:
also Life spans back then were half of what they are now.
how many natural life spans past through the oak island story.

and if your talking a Templer hiding something by Hocus Pocus.
Aliens or a pre atlantian pre dinosaur civalization who only buried it a foot deep,
and time covered it over,
would be more believable. :tongue3:

I believe if there was a Treasure, or grave there,
it was dug back up in less then 20 years after it was buried.
and was only 6 feet deep.

But again, These are my beliefs & problems with these stories.
I hope I'm wrong & someone other then the people selling the fantasy
profit one day.
treasurechest.png
:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also could never figure out why a treasure that you would want to someday recover would be made so hard to retrieve.

spent some time searching for info and found this

I agree with this guy 100%............because it makes a whole lot more sense then burying something 130' deep ...........and exactly how did they dig that deep and not encounter the flooding problems in the first place.

The wooden barriers,coconut fibers,charcoal,personal items,pieces of dishes and even "the flooding trench"........is all explained and makes perfect sense.

There never was anything in the Money Pit on Oak Island to find.

Last edited:

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smoking gun for this being an inverted Viking ship is........they found an Viking age anchor very close to the original pit.

the "flooding shaft" was uncovered is exactly where the mast of the ship would be and also the wooden platforms had a 10' gap on a Viking ship just as in the money pit.

All evidence points to the Money Pit being a Viking Longship.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too long to watch at this time, But jumping forward I was able to follow his
talk, & that makes perfect sense to me :icon_thumleft: Thanks :icon_thumright:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't these shows already recorded and in the can waiting to be aired? The search is already over and if anything had been found, it would be in the news already, right?

It's like those finding bigfoot shows, if they had discovered a bigfoot while filming it would be have been reported by now.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The smoking gun for this being an inverted Viking ship is........they found an Viking age anchor very close to the original pit.

the "flooding shaft" was uncovered is exactly where the mast of the ship would be and also the wooden platforms had a 10' gap on a Viking ship just as in the money pit.

All evidence points to the Money Pit being a Viking Longship.

Cool, hope you're right. I would rather see an authentic Viking ship then a box of the same old same old loot.
If I found a big loot I would by me a Viking longship and sail the world fighting giant squids and loch Ness monsters! WOO HOO!

ex nihilo

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to believe there is still treasure there...

I'll definitely watch the series!

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw the TV show and I like it. Its good to see someone doing work on Oak Island after all these years. I hope they do find something to prove who built the Money Pit. Good Job. Good Luck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far they've just been vacuum dredging and videoing the modern "Bore Hole 10-X" instead of the pit proper 180 feet away. Guess they have to stretch out the not finding of anything over many episodes.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Do you believe McGinnis or not?

Logic check: if his story as is told today is factual, and I buried something there (regardless of the depth), why the heck would I leave rigging above the dig site after I was finished filling it in? I may have well left instructions and put a big X on the ground while I was at it. If his story is incorrect, the whole thing falls apart. Take your pick, but remember that the digging started because of McGinnis, and the scenario that he presented is illogical.

If I have decided to dig some enormous hole to bury something (and left what was essentially a giant arrow directly above it to help out anyone who happened to pass by in finding it), why would I bury helpful indicators every ten feet or so to remind them that they're indeed digging in the right place? Why leave stones with weird carvings on them? What possible purpose could that serve? And why is it that every time someone sinks a hole in that general area, they come up with some amazing "discovery" that proves nothing (and indeed can't be proved), but hints at new wonders further down?

This story serves as another good example of a lack of critical thinking. Here we have some poor island with so many holes in it, I'm surprised that it hasn't sunk by now. Nobody has found anything and no one even knows where the original hole was anymore, but we've already come up with stories about what's down there and how it got there. How about we wait until something is produced (if ever) and then figure out how it ended up in that hole?

I look at this and I see one giant red flag stretching back literally centuries, all the way to the beginning. The original story didn't make sense, and things make less sense now. (Actually it all makes perfect sense to the geologists, but few seem interested in what they're saying. I'll bet that a psychiatrist would have something to say about all of this too.)

As for these guys...hey, it's their money. I don't see how there's anything to find down there but I wish them luck in it regardless, and I sincerely hope that no one gets hurt in the process. This is one of those cases where I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for that to happen.

This legend is very aptly named, but in a strictly ironic sense.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread